playmakerx

Apps Not Shown in Search Results in 10.15

Posted (edited)

I just upgraded to macOS 10.15 and Alfred 4 today. After giving it all required permissions, I found this glitch. When I searched for apps like "App Store", nothing shows up in Alfred 4. But Spotlight works just fine. I tried "Clear Application Cache" and "Rebuild macOS Metadata" but neither helped.

The permissions I gave to Alfred 4 just in case you ask:

Contacts

Accessibility

Full Disk Access

Files and Folders

Automation

Any idea on how to fix this, or should I wait for an update?

12131123.png

Untitled12311231.png

Edited by playmakerx

This is definitely a permissions issue, as I am experiencing the same thing.  I do not know whether Apple has changed the authorization process/required permissions, but I'll add a pair of observations (which may or may not be obvious):

1. Alfred can still see all of my third-party, non App-Store-installed applications in my /Applications directory;

2. Running a `ls /Applications` command also shows only the aforementioned subset of the /Applications directory's contents, so my shell does not appear to have full permissions either!

Alfred does not appear in the Automation tab of the "Security" pane, but it does appear to be enabled in the "Full Disk Access", "Files and Folders", and "Contacts" panes on my system.

@scaba To clarify, did just the default Apple apps move to /System/Applications? Are the user-installed apps still in /Applications?

I'll see your "not searching for applications in MacOS 10.15 beta" and raise you a "Keyboard shortcut not working, can't open preferences, icon not showing in toolbar or Dock or Force Quit Menu but can't delete and re-install because MacOS says "Alfred is Open"

How about them Apples? 

Totally know it's the risk of Beta but thought I would report it to Alfred so you would know it was an issue. Thanks!

@vitor It looks like userland apps are now in /System/Volumes/Data/Device/Applications and /Applications is some sort of file system alias to that, probably some sort of hard symlink. I added a symlink for the homebrew Emacs-plus to /Applications and it also shows up in /System/Volumes/Data/Device/Applications. However, now that linked app does not show up in Alfred, though the rest in that dir do. I imagine it has to do with the symlink

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, scaba said:

I added /System/Applications to the Search Scope list in Preferences -> Features -> Default Results and now the Apple installed apps show up in Alfred

Thanks scaba, that solved my problem! 😁

Edited by playmakerx

On 6/8/2019 at 8:52 AM, playmakerx said:

Thanks scaba, that solved my problem! 😁

How you did it I can't see hidden files in Alfred Finder to chose this folder

Thank you

On 6/9/2019 at 11:44 PM, scaba said:

@upup In any Finder window hitting "COMMAND + SHIFT + ." will show hidden files 

Yes I'm on Catalana I know how to see hidden files^ but Alfred doesn't see them, so I can chose hidden directory System/Application

10 hours ago, scaba said:

@Carbon Not really sure. Are you on 10.15 (Catalina)? Did you try showing hidden files as I mentioned above?

@scaba Thanks I was able to add it to my search scrope once I did the hidden files thing but it didn't seem to be solving the problem and apps were still not shown in alfred...

I think it's all moot as the newest version (4.0.2 Pre-Release) of Alfred addresses this issue. So everyone having Catalina issue should upgrade. You may need to reset your Applications location list in Alfred to its pristine state after you do.