How do I Attach A Workflow to Posts? - Can't figure this out

15 minutes ago, deanishe said:

The errors pretty self-explanatory, tbh. You can't upload workflows, only image files. This is a forum, not a software hosting site.

You should host your workflows on a site like GitHub that is designed for that kind of thing.

To be fair, this is an Alfred related site. The file attachment module does say "…file types gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png " which is obvious, I get it.

My point being is,  the .com implies that the workflows shared here and on personal websites are (to some degree) mutually exclusive. The lack of help text, hints, text, or a FAQ that clearly states that alfredforum does not host actual workflows is surprising. It may appear obvious to you, as a user who clearly has been around these parts for a while, but for new users who aren't familiar with the forums, sending them on a wild goose chase sucks. Once more, the "Go to the Workflow Help & Questions forum for questions" link points right back to same page.

"Many creators add their workflows to Alfred Forum, while others host them on their personal websites,"

"Take a look on Packal as well as on the Alfred Forum for hundreds of integrations"

"hundreds more on Packal, a brilliant user-created repository for workflows, as well as on Alfred Forum, "

See how the verbiage could be confusing? In addition to this, in most places where a user would expect to be able to attach/upload/include a workflow, there is zero indication that AlfredForum doesn't offer that feature.  

Helpful Suggestions

The file attach error could be more useful, ya know, incase a user missed the help text…  Easy win…

561061859_ArtboardCopy5.png.40927bd6dd5b2a104abcf6ff4e186d4d.png

Considering Workflows are "Other media"… heres an easy win…

696197902_ArtboardCopy.png.a98e8062bf16581d6ac48c1fa273c74c.png or this one… 60122772_ArtboardCopy22.png.cc39c37385281b4f40f7b41c7da93784.png it looks different from the other Inserts now… Much clear! Easy win…

I wanted to attach a Workflow to my posts, which isn't exactly how that works… What if there was some text to support the user behavior Alfred Forums prefers? Here is an easy win…

1970446371_ArtboardCopy2.png.8450d3801d2f50000aeea2ba19fa9f56.png

Well if this isn't idiot proof… I don't know what is…

Artboard.png.94705dbb9f2e365a1de1134c90556e6d.png

Oh, this is one I really like… Seeing how this is the "Share Workflows" forum… A user might assume they can included them in the post, optionally of course…   

17671503_ArtboardCopy4.png.c2077335a4024e5fea24953b95ac8928.png

---------

Literally a slight bit of attitude and you get a bunch of free UX work. Must have been feeling generous. Your lucky day I guess! 

The only one of those examples that seems usable to me is the last one, because it’s clearer it’s asking the user to provide a URL to an already uploaded resource.

However, two questions remain:

1. How would that translate on the forum post itself? Where would it appear?
  2. This forum uses Invision Power Board. Would that even be feasible and simple?

25 minutes ago, Justin0xFFF said:

The lack of help text, hints, text, or a FAQ that clearly states that alfredforum does not host actual workflows is surprising.

You think? To my mind, the name "alfredforum" suggests strongly that it's, you know, just a forum.

It may appear obvious to you, as a user who clearly has been around these parts for a while

I have, that's true. This is also the first time I can remember this particular issue arising. To be clear, I don't mean someone asking why we can't upload our workflows here, but not understanding why we can't upload our workflows here. So it might be a communication problem.

"Many creators add their workflows to Alfred Forum, while others host them on their personal websites,"

Add != host. Could be clearer, certainly, but yeah.

"Take a look on Packal as well as on the Alfred Forum for hundreds of integrations"

Also doesn't say anything about hosting, but that's a very good spot and I'm gonna page @Vero to ask her to remove the mention of Packal (it's a zombie at this point).

In addition to this, in most places where a user would expect to be able to attach/upload/include a workflow, there is zero indication that AlfredForum doesn't offer that feature.

That's true, but as I say, in the 5 or so years I've been on the forum, you're literally the first poster I can recall encountering who thinks that it is possible because it isn't explicitly excluded.

The file attach error could be more useful, ya know, incase a user missed the help text…  Easy win…

All your suggestions are great, imo. But this forum uses and is hosted by Invision, not the Alfred team. They can't just add new features like that, no matter how cool.

While your workflow(s) may be very small, many workflows are several megabytes in size. And while the forum would certainly be a better (more permanent) place to host a workflow than Dropbox or some filesharing site, it's nowhere near as good as a site like GitHub that's specifically designed for hosting software.

The Alfred team is small. Two people. Developing Alfred, managing the (hosted) forum and fielding help requests is already work enough for them. Getting into the workflow hosting business as well can only be detrimental to their primary jobs, which we'd all rather they concentrate on.

Edited by deanishe