File Buffer enhancements

I think the file buffer feature could be much more useful and a great replacement for Yoink and similar apps if the following features would be added: 

• Allow dragging files into the buffer (i know i can drag a local file into Alfred, and use CMD+up to add it to the buffer. Yoink lets me drag images directly from the browser to the buffer)  
  • Show Thumbnails for files in the buffer
  • Allow action on individual files (not only all) in the buffer 
  • Allow removing individual files (not all/the last added) from the buffer
  • A CLI for adding files to the buffer

Thanks for your consideration! 

Most of these things are possible, especially with the additions in 4.1.

20 minutes ago, flowflow said:

Allow dragging files into the buffer

While dragging in isn't possible, in 4.1, you can configure a workflow for a hotkey combo to add the selected file (or typed path) directly to the file buffer using the new File Buffer action

21 minutes ago, flowflow said:

Allow action on individual files

Again, this is possible using the same method as above, but wiring into the new Action in Alfred action. Alternatively, if you find a single file in Alfred and press right, then it will action that single item rather than alt+right to action all

22 minutes ago, flowflow said:

Allow removing individual files

If you hover over the item you want to remove, hold alt, then click that single item, it will remove it.

23 minutes ago, flowflow said:

A CLI

See the File Buffer and Action in Alfred workflow objects.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi, thanks for your quick reply!

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

While dragging in isn't possible, in 4.1, you can configure a workflow for a hotkey combo to add the selected file (or typed path) directly to the file buffer using the new File Buffer action

as i wrote: "(i know i can drag a local file into Alfred, and use CMD+up to add it to the buffer. Yoink lets me drag images directly from the browser to the buffer)"  

So that is a different use case. The file may not be "in" Alfred yet. 

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Again, this is possible using the same method as above, but wiring into the new Action in Alfred action. Alternatively, if you find a single file in Alfred and press right, then it will action that single item rather than alt+right to action all

I do not understand that… i have files in my buffer already, i do not want to search for them again. how do i select an individual one of them? 

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If you hover over the item you want to remove, hold alt, then click that single item, it will remove it.

👍ah, great. Did not see that. 

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

See the File Buffer and Action in Alfred workflow objects.

My feature request is a CLI that i can trigger from the command line, not only from within Alfred.  Something like:

$ alfred -add "/path/to/file.png

@flowflow The workflow objects I describe allow for what you describe:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/actions/file-buffer/

and...

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/actions/action-in-alfred/

You can configure an Alfred hotkey to take a selection in any app and add it to Alfred's buffer. As for the CLI, you can use an External Trigger or Inbound Configuration to provide scripting access using AppleScript / Javascript (from the command line) to any point within a workflow, including the file buffer:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/inbound-configuration/

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/triggers/external/

The thing you can't do is single out an item in the buffer to action though.

• 3 months later...

@Andrew I love these new File Buffer enhancements. Thank you!  Is there possibly a bug with File Action ==> File Buffer ?  I'm seeing a strange issue where, for some reason, passing a file from a File Action into an "Add passed-in files to File Buffer" workflow object results in just emptying the entire file buffer contents. I have checked the debug outputs from "selected (Finder) objects" and my File Action—and textually they are identical, but for some reason only the "selection in macOS" hotkey path works:

I uploaded a test workflow here

any idea?

image.png.715319746938c88a2242bbf02e769f55.png

@luckman212 Do you have the option to clear the file buffer after actioning? If so, the action of actioning a workflow File Action in the Actions panel is clearing the buffer.

You are better off using the buffer shortcut keys than a File Action, then you can keep the clear option enabled.

clear buffer.png

@Andrew Ah, yes I did have that enabled. I didn't consider or realize that activating a File Action from Alfred's navigation was considered "actioning the items in the buffer". To me they are separate functions, but that's fine, I worked around it by deactivating that checkbox and then creating a separate trigger for clearing the buffer.

Thanks @Andrew ! I updated to 1199 first, then quickly saw 1201 came out and so updated again.

But, for me anyway, the buffer is still getting erroneously cleared after passing files from a File Action into a File Buffer step. Currently I have "Clear after actioning" enabled and "Clear if buffer isn't used for 5 minutes" disabled in prefs:

image.png.39911dd02ee297f0de765937fba9c394.png

one more (unrelated) thing:  this notification appeared after the 1199 update, not sure where this setting is in the UI, or if anything needs to be adjusted

image.png.3e8220dd7a876d5a647d828aa51840ab.png

7 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

this notification appeared after the 1199 update, not sure where this setting is in the UI, or if anything needs to be adjusted

The notification is erroneous. It's for a hidden, experimental setting, but was accidentally shown when the setting is off.

Don't worry about it.