Alfred Not Responding After Big Sur Upgraded today

elephi

After I upgraded to Big Sur, I cannot launch Alfred by Hotkey, without icon in menubar( hidden by me before). I checked the Activity Monitor and found it shows Alfred not responding.

I tried to remove and install Alfred again, nothing happened.

Anybody else found this issues?

Many Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You could be experiencing this widespread Apple server issue causing apps to hang at launch:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/11/12/apple-system-issue-causing-app-install-runtime-problems

If other apps seem to be working, try reinstalling Alfred 4.2.1 from our website.

Cheers,

Andrew

Many thanks Andrew.

I already reinstalled Alfred for several times but it didn't work.

I will try it later again, maybe it's caused by Apple side issues.

BTW Is there any way to uninstall Alfred more thoroughly? I cannot get a totally fresh Alfred Instance with Icon on the menu bar to enter the preferences.

Cheers.

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You could be experiencing this widespread Apple server issue causing apps to hang at launch:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/11/12/apple-system-issue-causing-app-install-runtime-problems

If other apps seem to be working, try reinstalling Alfred 4.2.1 from our website.

Cheers,

Andrew

BTW Most of my other apps work fine, I will launch all of it to test.

Same problem here. The recent macOS Big Sur is the most problematic OS X I have been using.🤔

This helpful guide has some good clues and maybe can solve your issue:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/12/mac-apps-not-opening/

So I just think the new macOS is the cause of this issue, not Alfred ~ 

@ClemHarvey The issue with apps not opening as described on that MacRumors post will hopefully have been very brief as Apple was hit with loads of people updating at the same time, and all apps attempting to call back at the same time.

If you've just installed Big Sur, it may be that there was some corruption upon upgrade. Your best bet is to backup your Alfred.alfredpreferences, reset Alfred and relaunch, then bring your preferences back in:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/reset-alfred/

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,
Vero

Same here, have wiped all preferences and reinstalled. Earlier today it was working intermittently after a few restarts. Now it's locking up every time.

- Initially updated from within the app, downloaded and installed build 4.2.1 from the site an hour ago.

- Can see it red within Activity Monitor, labeled "not responding"

- System Version: macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)

Best, Matthew.

@jjthejet @matthew.nyc @Rocinante There are a few steps to take to establish what's happening on your Mac.

First, try creating a new user account on your Mac temporarily. Install Alfred and go through the same steps as on your primary user account. Does you see normal behaviour?

Next, return to your primary user account and reset Alfred's permissions, in case the upgrade to Big Sur has caused some permissions to become corrupted. To do this, launch macOS's Security & Privacy preferences, and remove Alfred from anywhere he's listed, then re-add as indicated here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/getting-started/permissions/

Finally, if the issue persists, you may benefit from resetting Alfred fully. First, copy your Alfred.alfredpreferences file somewhere safe as a backup. You'll find the Alfred.alfredpreferences file either in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/ or in your sync location if you have set one.

You can then follow the steps here to reset:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/reset-alfred/

Please let us know how you get on, as this is a brand new OS, and any insight that can help other users will be helpful :) 

Cheers,
Vero

I have a suspicion that this Alfred + Big Sur fail might be somehow related to Apple's Spotlight search service.

After manually removing all traces and prefs and completely reinstalling it worked fine yesterday. This morning, after boot Alfred was once again dead on launch and "not responding" in the Activity Monitor.

• When Alfred is failing on launch, I noticed that Spotlight is also failing (not auto-completing or listing results). It's the 'fallback launch solution" when Alfred is not around 😉.
  • I disabled the auto-launch of Alfred to see if Spotlight would at least work.
  • After reboot, Spotlight was not working. Turns out it was re-indexing.(not sure why).
  • Once Spotlight was done indexing I was able to start Alfred and it seems to be working ok.

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 11:03 AM, matthew.nyc said:

I have a suspicion that this Alfred + Big Sur fail might be somehow related to Apple's Spotlight search service.

After manually removing all traces and prefs and completely reinstalling it worked fine yesterday. This morning, after boot Alfred was once again dead on launch and "not responding" in the Activity Monitor.

• When Alfred is failing on launch, I noticed that Spotlight is also failing (not auto-completing or listing results). It's the 'fallback launch solution" when Alfred is not around 😉.
  • I disabled the auto-launch of Alfred to see if Spotlight would at least work.
  • After reboot, Spotlight was not working. Turns out it was re-indexing.(not sure why).
  • Once Spotlight was done indexing I was able to start Alfred and it seems to be working ok.

I just experienced a crash (so rare these days) on Big Sur 11.2 (20D64), and upon restarting Alfred could not launch without 'not responding' in Activity Monitor. Spotlight was also not able to display results.

Thanks for this suggestion, I ended up similarly solving through

1. force quitting Alfred (through Activity Monitor)

2. change some of the Spotlight 'privacy' settings (I removed a folder I had recently added to the list of 'things I don't want Alfred to index')

3. wait for Spotlight to finish re-indexing (i.e. wait until Spotlight actually returns results)

4. launch Alfred. Things work