[FR] Better Menu Items Search?

There is an Alfred Workflow by @Benzi called Menu Bar Search that offers this functionality (although recently broke in v1.7), but I wonder if this would be a useful addition alongside the Universal Actions feature currently in beta. Just as you can set a hotkey to bring up a list of actions relevant to your selection in Finder, supporting native Menu Items Search via a hotkey would feel consistent, since it's applying a similar "interact with my current context or selection" behavior to the currently focused app.

@Andrew what do you think?

2 minutes ago, dfay said:

it might be coming to the Mac

In Monterey? Or beyond? Do you have a sense for how you'd invoke it? In this case, since I'm planning to use Alfred indefinitely, it just seems like a relevant expansion but I take your point that it might be subsumed by the OS...

On iPad OS 15 (PB 1), you hold the Globe key or hit Globe-M to bring up the global keyboard shortcut and menu viewer, and hold command or for app-specific, and/or you can hit command-? to go straight to the menu search.  

I’m not having much luck finding a video demo, but it’s a really nice UI that I’d like to see ported to the Mac.

See https://sixcolors.com/post/2021/06/think-globally-the-ipads-new-universal-keyboard-shortcuts/

4 hours ago, dfay said:

On iPad OS 15 (PB 1), you hold the Globe key or hit Globe-M to bring up the global keyboard shortcut and menu viewer, and hold command or for app-specific, and/or you can hit command-? to go straight to the menu search.  

Ah, wow... very interesting! However, you need a keyboard to access that eh? Would love to see a video... do you think for all the folks who might not upgrade to Monterey it still might be relevant for Alfred to add support for?

Yeah there’s a lot of nice stuff with the external keyboard that hasn’t been really picked up in the coverage of iPadOS 15 to date.  There’s also a floating equivalent of the MBP Touch Bar but on screen.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a new Swift UI component which Cloutie is using as well.

See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/ToolbarItemPlacement/keyboard?changes=_1

Edited by dfay