Basic question: How to add a second step to a workflow? (I want to replace /n with | and then trim whitespace)

Trying to build my own workflow, and I know it's pretty basic.

I want to:

1. copy some text
  2. replace all new lines or carriage returns with a certain character, for example | or /
  3. THEN I want to trim excess white space (leaving one space) from the previous output.
  4. and finally, Copy to Clipboard

I have it working the way I want, except for step 3--I'm not sure how to add in that step.

Here's what I have in step 2:

• Hotkey > Replace (regext) \n+ with / > Copy to Clipboard

I tried adding a step after step 2 to trim whitespace (including Transform), but I think I'm missing something.

The second image shows what I tried.

What do I add after step 2 to trim whitespace?

Thanks!

alfred-workflow.png

alfred-workflow-2.png

Is this what you wanted it to do? 

Take a block of text with multiple spaces in it and return a single line with \\ replacing newlines and a single space replacing any double or more spaces?

eg:

input:

This is  Some   test so lets
see   how this  goes  with seeing if this   does anything

output:

This is Some test so lets // see how this goes with seeing if this does anything

This is what I added to get the above result and I also changed your snippet trigger to a keyword for testing.

1290785345_2021-09-05at5_17pm.png.bf767814f8803280a731123691236617.png

6 hours ago, Pearcen said:

@Sucesso Download my version from https://github.com/pearcenuk/Alfred-public/raw/main/_Paste without newlines.alfredworkflow and see if that works as it does for me.

Things I've updated I've coloured red and left comments

That's perfect! Not sure what's different; I thought mine was the same.

Does it make a difference that your final step is dragged down and lower? Versus mine, which was straight across? I assumed it didn't make a difference. Never mind, I just tested it; it doesn't make a difference. I'm assuming you dragged it down to fit in the window so that I wouldn't get confused.

alfred-pearcen.png

alfred-sucesso.png

5 hours ago, Sucesso said:

That's perfect! Not sure what's different; I thought mine was the same.

Does it make a difference that your final step is dragged down and lower? Versus mine, which was straight across? I assumed it didn't make a difference. Never mind, I just tested it; it doesn't make a difference. I'm assuming you dragged it down to fit in the window so that I wouldn't get confused.

alfred-pearcen.png

alfred-sucesso.png

Extra mile. hehehe nah, just really got into Alfred the last year and thought if I can help then why not.

It makes no difference how it laid out at all. I just put it there and coloured it to make it obvious what I had done.

Glad it is working for you and good luck and enjoy Alfred and all it has to offer.