Workflow Issues in Alfred 4 & 5 (Keyword Latching Not Working Properly For Existing Workflows)

Mac M1 | Monterey 12.4 | Alfred 4.6.7 [1305] & Alfred 5.0.0-EA7_2043

I've uploaded a video to Dropbox -  it's much easier & quicker to understand the issue that way: VIDEO IS HERE (you'll need to force a higher 'quality' on Dropbox to see it properly). Please excuse the end part about new workflows - that was an oversight on my part. However, the same 'latching' issue is present in the test workflow. It is also present in Alfred 5.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post

ISSUE OVERVIEW:
I've been using a simple workflow for years; it opens Gmail in a specific browser. AlfredApp always used to keep my Gmail Workflow at the top of the results list. However, after selecting a different result once, AlfredApp refused to put the Gmail workflow back at the top of the list no matter what I did. Pressing 'Clear Knowledge' on the global page didn't fix the issue properly (as described below), and a bit of testing seems to show this issue is specifically related to it being a workflow (other file types respond as expected).

DESCRIPTION: Previously I would invoke my 'Gmail' workflow using 'gm'. Even if I then selected another result using 'gm' (e.g. 'Gm chord variations') my Gmail option would remain at the top of the list (or at least work it's way back to the top - I forget which). However, the other day I typed in 'gm' and selected something else, and AlfredApp kept putting that at the top of my list. Even when I repeatedly typed in 'gm' and selected the Gmail workflow, the other selection would keep appearing at the top of the results list. It seems that AlfredApp responds as expected with other filetypes like folders and contacts, but not with the workflow. The workflow remains below any other filetypes that have been selected rather than rising to the top again. 

NOTE: I've included a screenshot of my workflow below. It's actually one workflow that contains a bunch of keyword triggers for opening web pages (you can see the Gmail option highlighted - 'gmail' is the keyword trigger). It has been working well and as-desired for years.

TO REPLICATE:

1. Select 'clear knowledge' on global page to clear the history.
  2. Invoke AlfredApp and enter 'gm'
  3. Select the Gmail workflow from the list
  4. Repeat step 2 and the Gmail workflow appears at the top of the list each time
    AS EXPECTED

5. Invoke AlfredApp and enter 'gm'
  6. Select 'Gm__Synth_' folder
  7. Repeat step 2, and 'Gm__Synth_' appears at the top of the list each time
    AS EXPECTED

8. Invoke AlfredApp and enter 'gm'
  9. Select the Gmail workflow from the list
  10. Repeat step 2, and 'Gm__Synth_' STILL appears at the top of the list each time
    NOT AS EXPECTED. GMAIL WORKLFLOW WAS THE LAST THING SELECTED AND SHOULD APPEAR AT THE TOP OF THE LIST

ATTEMPTED FIXES:

• Clear Knowledge (doesn't work - see above)
  • Alfred 5.0.0-EA7_2043 (doesn't work. Issue persists)
  • Clear Application Cache (doesn't work)
  • Rebuild macOS Data (doesn't work)

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 11.40.37.png

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 11.54.10.png

Edited by nwebb
Adding video
  • nwebb changed the title to Workflow Issues in Alfred 4 & 5 (Keyword Latching Not Working Properly For Existing Workflows)

To latch a result to the top, select it a bunch of times in a row and for the same keyword. As in, what latches on gm might not be the same as what latches on gma, even if there’s a Workflow which matches both. The reason it’s not done on a single activation is so you don‘t accidentally latch something else the one time you had to pick a different result, or by accident.

As to your second issue, you forgot to set the Keyword to Argument Optional or No Argument. In the original Workflow it’s set correctly.

Thanks @vitor

To latch a result to the top, select it a bunch of times in a row and for the same keyword.

I know it should, but unfortunately it no longer does. I know I only showed single selections in the video (I meant to show the result of multiple as well like I had described in the text). Check it out: you can see it works for the Pages file and the folder, but never for the Workflow, even when I select it repeatedly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i6v29zmvnhdmn9/AlrefApp-Latch2.mp4?dl=0

>As to your second issue, you forgot to set the Keyword 
Ha, yes, I did catch that shortly before posting, and mentioned it above - thanks. I think I was overtired by the time I got around to posting :)
It's worth noting that the same 'latching' issue is present in the test workflow as well. So the issue doesn't appear to be related to a corrupt workflow.

Edited by nwebb
typo

If you create a new user account on your Mac temporarily, does it still happen on the new one?
Seemingly not!

To clarify: I created a new account on the Mac, opened AlfredApp & activated the power pac,k but I couldn't access my normal AlfredApp backup folder (it's in Dropbox on the other account) so I created a brand new workflow instead, and that worked.  

As mentioned, creating a new workflow under my normal account account failed), so I doubt that's the difference. 

So I'm guessing you have a cause in mind? :)

Edited by nwebb
12 minutes ago, nwebb said:

So I'm guessing you have a cause in mind?

Not yet. That step serves to narrow down the list of cases. What it means is the cause is something specific to your setup, but still not obvious what.

Are you syncing your preferences? Which service do you use?

In Alfred Preferences → Advanced → Learning, untick the checkbox then set it again.

I don't want to speak too soon, but I created a completely new workflow and for some reason this one appears to be working as expected. I'll keep an eye on it but I'm quite hopeful this will work. 

I'll give it a couple of days - if there are any issues I'll reset my syncing prefs and get back to you. 

Thanks for your suggestions and support 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...