Automation Task > Tags - Recursive Option

While this isn't strictly speaking a bug, I don't think when people select the "Recursive" option to "Act on directory contents" for the Automation Tasks of tags (e.g., Add Tags, Remove Tags, Clear Tags) that they intend this to apply to the contents of packages.

For instance, if you use the "Add Tags" Automation Task, and select the "Recursive" option, when it's applied to an application, it will actually add the tag to the invisible contents of the application, too - which could cause problems, and seems like overkill.

I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to fix this, but it'd probably be easiest to do a quick content tree check for "com.apple.package" - which is broad enough to catch applications, bundles, kernel extensions and most things you wouldn't want Alfred thumbing through - and to only apply/remove/clear the tags of children of files that don't contain it. In other words, if it's a package, Alfred should just behave as if the user had not selected the recursive option (i.e., applying/removing/clearing the tags of the package but NOT its children/contents).

If you need any more info, just let me know. Cheers!

PS: I'm on Tasks Version 2022.14 (Last Checked Sep 13, 2022, 4:06 PM) & Alfred 5.0.2

Edited by Jasondm007

For illustrative purposes, in case the description above wasn't clear, here's a straightforward example with the Alfred 5.app (where tag=red). Even with the recursive option selected, the tags automation tasks shouldn't be tagging the internal contents of applications, right (i.e., Alfred should know not to tag the internal contents of packages, like applications)?

image.thumb.png.0aa0534d8fcd6e9ff7a81dff0a531746.png

image.thumb.png.14ab31f1a3ba5e59188f5e027c5b36f5.png

PS - I didn't tag the actual Alfred 5 app, in my applications folder. I just dragged this one over to my desktop to illustrate the point.

Edited by Jasondm007
On 9/22/2022 at 8:00 PM, Jasondm007 said:

This post got moved from "Bug Reports" to this forum channel.

Does that mean it's not actually a bug

Not exactly a bug because it was working as expected, so more of a feature request. Either pertains to Automation Tasks so this is the correct subforum. I moved it while pondering the next step.

Just released 2022.15. Tagging now ignores bundles.