Eject All command doesn't recognize external SSDs

Chris Messina

I know that the latest version of Alfred has a new ejection framework, but it's not working for me. 

I'm on Alfred 5.1 Build 2134.

Here's what Alfred sees:

image.thumb.png.34121d44a85adebaa5ca7b6cd80b2d8c.png

Here's what's in Finder — BunnyCrunch is an external Samsung SSD. In fact, none of my SSDs, which are connected by USB-C, seem to be detected by Alfred.

2023-04-26(18_26.28)Finder@2x.png.d54c23d880688dfa3da24f944f756835.png

@Chris Messina what settings do you have for Eject and Eject All in Alfred's Prefs > Features > System?

I've just re-tested Alfred 5.1 b2134 on macOS 13.3.1 and macOS 12.6.5 with 3 types of drive attached. A USB key, a USB-C SSD and a network attached volume.

With the eject scope set to "Removable Media", I see the USB key.

With the eject scope set to "Local Mounted Volumes", I see all 3 mounted volumes.

This is the behaviour I would expect for these two features. If this isn't what you're seeing, double check the exclusions list in the same place in prefs.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ah ok — will try that out. I didn't realize those options existed! 

Two suggestions:

1. Add a keyboard modifier for ⌘ when an "Eject" command is chosen to edit the preferences (to make these options more discoverable — similar to holding ⌘ when viewing a snippet).

2. Perhaps unnecessary, but I'm not sure you need to mention DVDs? When was the last time Apple shipped a computer with a DVD drive? Similarly, are "USB flash drives" different than "external USB drives"? Just seems like this copy could be modernized/updated/clarified.  

image.png.0713adbc0c50cc6ef315aa2279a13a8c.png

On 4/29/2023 at 6:53 PM, Chris Messina said:

When was the last time Apple shipped a computer with a DVD drive?

There are external DVD drives, same as external hard drives. Apple themselves still sell them.

On 4/29/2023 at 6:53 PM, Chris Messina said:

Similarly, are "USB flash drives" different than "external USB drives"?

The former is also known as a “thumb drive” or “memory stick”. The latter typically refers to larger drives you connect with a cable.

Ultimately, Apple's eject framework categorises USB flash drives / USB sticks differently to USB cable attached SSDs. "Removable Media" is a narrow subset of "temporarily" connected media.

@Chris Messina have you tried the ? keyword... ?eject will take you directly to the settings for this keyword.