Fuzzy Search

First of all thanks for the great Alfred app. 

Everything is super cool, one thing missing and I think it is very important to me and to lots of people around who love productivity. The missing feature is fuzzy search. 

e.g. 

1- search: "application design" ----> result: "application design"

2- search: "application d" ----> result: "application design"

3- search: "app design" ----> result: "application design"

4- search: "a d" ----> result: "application design"

With the time the app should learn, in the example above it should smart guess that I want application design by only typing "a d" based on my history search. 

The current search is good but far from perfect I hate having to type the word correctly to get the result e.g. I have to type "chro" to get "chrome" and cannot type "ome" to get the same result. 

Thanks, 

Aziz

First of all thanks for the great Alfred app. 

Everything is super cool, one thing missing and I think it is very important to me and to lots of people around who love productivity. The missing feature is fuzzy search. 

e.g. 

1- search: "application design" ----> result: "application design"
2- search: "application d" ----> result: "application design"
3- search: "app design" ----> result: "application design"
4- search: "a d" ----> result: "application design"

With the time the app should learn, in the example above it should smart guess that I want application design by only typing "a d" based on my history search. 

The current search is good but far from perfect I hate having to type the word correctly to get the result e.g. I have to type "chro" to get "chrome" and cannot type "ome" to get the same result. 

Thanks, 
Aziz

This will help: Alfred Preferences >Advanced >App matching >Full Fuzzy match 

It won't search for the last three words though.

So do this:

Make a workflow and set a hotkey or keyword to launch files, in this case, chrome and set it to no argument.

Make a workflow and set a hotkey or keyword to launch files, in this case, chrome and set it to no argument.

He’s using Chrome just as an example. That solution would be impractical in the long term, as he’d have to do the same for everything.

Like Racer pointed out, the feature is there. Also, if you do a search in the forums for “fuzzy matching”, or something similar, you’ll find a bunch of posts pertaining to the same question, and explanations as to why it works like that. You can see the differences between fuzzy and full fuzzy, and why it’s not the default.

He’s using Chrome just as an example. That solution would be impractical in the long term, as he’d have to do the same for everything.

Thing is, setting a workflow is ideal here. Full fuzzy matching won't show for example 'ome' or the last 3 letters of an app/file which is also what he wants. For most everything else, he should be good.

It's his only option in this case, and that's what i was trying to say..

Edited by Racer

Thing is, setting a workflow is ideal here. Full fuzzy matching won't show for example 'ome' or the last 3 letters of an app/file which is also what he wants. For most everything else, he should be good.

It's his only option in this case, and that's what i was trying to say..

My point is that Chrome was given as an example, not a use case. If you call Chrome enough times, even pressing “c” will get it on top of the list, and the browser is one of the most called apps, so I very much doubt he wants to actually call Chrome via “ome”. Using workflows in that manner is not ideal, since it would never scale — he needs (is asking for) a way to make it work across the board, for everything he might need. The answer, given by Andrew on the second post I linked is that no, it’s not currently possible to do it “out of the box” to that level (and he explains why), but it is possible to make a workflow for it.