Five second delay when launching after a while

TStein

• What you were doing when the issue happened

After not using Alfred for a while (minutes? haven't timed it), when first activating (cmd-Space), Alfred is unresponsive. The entry window shows up, but keystrokes (and results) don't appear. It is evidently accepting keystrokes (but misses some?) because after 5 to 8 seconds or so it wakes us and echoes what I've typed.

• Whether you were able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action

Yes, replicable easily.

• Include any screenshots that might help us (n/a)

Include the Alfred version & build number you are using

V2.1.1 (227)

• Include your OS X version

• What you were doing when the issue happened

After not using Alfred for a while (minutes? haven't timed it), when first activating (cmd-Space), Alfred is unresponsive. The entry window shows up, but keystrokes (and results) don't appear. It is evidently accepting keystrokes (but misses some?) because after 5 to 8 seconds or so it wakes us and echoes what I've typed.

• Whether you were able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action

Yes, replicable easily.

• Include any screenshots that might help us (n/a)
  • Include the Alfred version & build number you are using

V2.1.1 (227)

• Include your OS X version

What sort of memory usage / free memory do you have on your Mac?

I also think it may be worth reindexing your OS X metadata with the shortcut in Alfred's Advanced prefs.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. It's made Alfred pretty much useless... I've had to go back to Spotlight :(

It started randomly one day with v2.1.1, and I just tried upgrading to v2.2 hoping it would be fixed, but the problem is still there.

Most times I see the same issue as OP - 10 seconds (or more) hang after opening Alfred and typing the first search character. But sometimes Alfred hangs before even showing the search window...

I'm using OSX 10.9.2. 100gb free HD space, 16gb ram. Tried repairing disk permissions, clearing Alfred cache, reindexing. Nothing has solved this so far.

Please help me use Alfred again!

Edited by Odam

Same problem here. It's made Alfred pretty much useless... I've had to go back to Spotlight :(

It started randomly one day with v2.1.1, and I just tried upgrading to v2.2 hoping it would be fixed, but the problem is still there.

Most times I see the same issue as OP - 10 seconds (or more) hang after opening Alfred and typing the first search character. But sometimes Alfred hangs before even showing the search window...

I'm using OSX 10.9.2. 100gb free HD space, 16gb ram. Tried repairing disk permissions, clearing Alfred cache, reindexing. Nothing has solved this so far.

Please help me use Alfred again!

Could you have Activity Monitor opened and Alfred selected, and during the hang, click the cog in Activity Monitor and "Sample Process". If you can catch this correctly, it should show us where the delay is.

My guess is it's related to either indexing, or a hanging network item.

After getting the sample, could you also try turning off the eject keywords in Alfred's Features > System prefs 

• 3 months later...

After many months of Alfred usage on this machine I've started to experience this in the last few days. A restart didn't help.

I tried to capture the requested info in Activity Monitor but it's not a long enough delay to get there, click the cog, and start the sampling :( It is long enough to be quite frustrating though :)

I"m going to try clearing the cache and rebuilding the OS X Metadata including deleting the spotlight file and I'll report back the result.

(OS X 10.9.4, Alfred 2.3 (264))

Edited by bakert

No, it is just that I got used to it. It's still happening :(

Could you try temporarily creating a new user account, switching to that user and then trying again? If this seems to fix the issue, I'll walk you through deleting some of Alfred's caches in case something has gone out of control or become corrupt! Don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of this :)

• 4 months later...

I've been experiencing Alfred hanging a bit lately (the Alfred UI appears, but is unresponsive and the cursor beachballs while over it). It's more like at least a 30+ second hang, however. Quite frustrating.

I haven't verified this, but it seems like the following is a contender for steps-to-replication: ;-P

1. Put laptop to sleep at work, while connected to work wi-fi and work server
  2. Wake computer up at home
  3. Invoke Alfred
  4. Enjoy endless beachballing

I'll try and get a Sample Process in next time it happens.

Cheers!

I've been experiencing Alfred hanging a bit lately (the Alfred UI appears, but is unresponsive and the cursor beachballs while over it). It's more like at least a 30+ second hang, however. Quite frustrating.

I haven't verified this, but it seems like the following is a contender for steps-to-replication: ;-P

1. Put laptop to sleep at work, while connected to work wi-fi and work server
  2. Wake computer up at home
  3. Invoke Alfred
  4. Enjoy endless beachballing

I'll try and get a Sample Process in next time it happens.

Cheers!

Have you taken a look at the steps we've suggested to other users? If there are any memory issues or another app is slow at waking, it may be stopping Alfred from launching quickly.

First and foremost, I would suggest rebuilding your Mac's index. Go to Alfred's Advanced preferences and clicking "Rebuild OS X metadata". Be sure to also check the box for "Delete /.Spotlight-V100".

If you still experience slowness, try creating a second user account and seeing whether the issue happens on that user account as well, or not. Let us know and we'll provide suggestions accordingly. :)