Snippets Security

Hi

I use the Clipboard snippets feature A LOT with Alfred 2!!

I think I've seen mentioned on this forum that the snippets are stored in a sqllite database..?

If this is the case how secure is the content of this database?

I sync Alfred via Dropbox and just thought that I should exercise some caution when storing sensitive info in my snippets??

Thanks

Hi

I use the Clipboard snippets feature A LOT with Alfred 2!!

I think I've seen mentioned on this forum that the snippets are stored in a sqllite database..?

If this is the case how secure is the content of this database?

I sync Alfred via Dropbox and just thought that I should exercise some caution when storing sensitive info in my snippets??

Thanks

The data is stored in plain text so if you are worried about someone getting the data, you may want to be careful. If you can copying text that you are worried about getting in the clipboard history, you can set it so that certain apps, their data is ignored and not placed in the clipboard history

Alfred's clipboard history is stored locally in your user account so is secure (particularly if you have File Vault enabled for OS X). Snippets are stored in plain text in the synced Alfred preferences file, so I wouldn't recommend storing sensitive information in there unless you are using a secure syncing service which you have full trust in.

Cheers,

Andrew

Alfred's clipboard history is stored locally in your user account so is secure (particularly if you have File Vault enabled for OS X). Snippets are stored in plain text in the synced Alfred preferences file, so I wouldn't recommend storing sensitive information in there unless you are using a secure syncing service which you have full trust in.

Cheers,

Andrew

What counts as a "syncing service"? Can I tell Alfred to use a Google Drive-synced folder or a Seafile-synced one? (Seafile is what I use for securely syncing data. It's encrypted.)

Has Alfred been tested with anything other than Dropbox (I don't want to break stuff)?

Edited by deanishe

What counts as a "syncing service"? Can I tell Alfred to use a Google Drive-synced folder or a Seafile-synced one? (Seafile is what I use for securely syncing data. It's encrypted.)

Has Alfred been tested with anything other than Dropbox (I don't want to break stuff)?

Alfred isn't actually aware of the underlying syncing mechanism, so the reliability is more down to the service than Alfred (who monitors the Alfred.alfredpreferences package for updates wether it's stored locally or in a folder which is being synced).

You can always keep a backup of the Alfred.alfredpreferences package just in case, as it's a simple case of quitting Alfred and switching that back out to fully restore settings.