Running AppleScript with Alfred to unminimize windows is slow

mbigras

Hello,

Thanks for such an awesome program. Please see the attached video for a detailed description and the below scripts. Thanks for your help! 

video description

applescript in editor:

try
tell application "System Events" to tell process "Dock"
click (UI elements of list 1 where role description is "minimized window dock item")
end tell
end try

applescript in alfred:

on alfred_script(q)
  try
click (UI elements of list 1 where role description is "minimized window dock item")
end tell
end try
end alfred_script

Edited by mbigras

Hello,

Thanks for such an awesome program. Please see the attached video for a detailed description and the below scripts. Thanks for your help! 

video description

applescript in editor:

try
end tell
end try

applescript in alfred:

on alfred_script(q)
  try
end tell
end try
end alfred_script

The Reason why, the windows unminimize so slow in the first case is, that you can "slowmow" minimize windows 

in OS X by pressing the shift key(Source: here). Changing the hotkey would fix this problem but it would still be a bit slower than usual.

To get it as quick as when you click, don't use "Run NSApplescript" use "Run Script" instead.

Deanishe pointed the differences out in this post:

Generally, it's a better idea to ignore the Run NSAppleScript Action and use the normal Run Script Action with language = /usr/bin/osascript (AS) instead.

The reason is that Alfred blocks while a Run NSAppleScript is running, so you can't use Alfred, but a Run Script is always run in the background.

In addition the hotkey doesn't matter then either :)

Hope that helps :)
Edited by FroZen_X

Hey FroZen_X,

Thanks so much! That helped me a lot! I changed the hot key to ctrl + cmd + m and the windows are coming up much faster  :)

It is definitely still noticeably slower though coming up then going down so I did some more experimenting with your second comment about changing from Run NSAppleScript to Run Script; however it didn't seem to make a difference in speed, also when I tried switching the hotkey back to shift + cmd + m it went back to going slow so it seems like the hot key does matter even if it's a different script, am I missing something here? Like to I need to write a script in a different language for the windows to come up more snappily and to be able to use shift in the hotkey? Anyways, thanks so much for your help so far  :)

Hey FroZen_X,

Thanks so much! That helped me a lot! I changed the hot key to ctrl + cmd + m and the windows are coming up much faster  :)

It is definitely still noticeably slower though coming up then going down so I did some more experimenting with your second comment about changing from Run NSAppleScript to Run Script; however it didn't seem to make a difference in speed, also when I tried switching the hotkey back to shift + cmd + m it went back to going slow so it seems like the hot key does matter even if it's a different script, am I missing something here? Like to I need to write a script in a different language for the windows to come up more snappily and to be able to use shift in the hotkey? Anyways, thanks so much for your help so far  :)

My mistake sorry :/, was a little late yesterday. I checked again and the hotkey still matters there. What you can do tho is, set a delay at the start, as of a delay 

for the time till you release the hotkey. I was pressing the hotkey fairly quick and didn't notice ^^

So here is an example of what you could do if you wanna keep "Shift" and Applescript:

delay 0.2
try
end tell
end try

That's the quickest and easiest i can come up with atm :)

Hope that helps, else gotta check for yeah another language or another trick ^^

Edited by FroZen_X

I'm silly....way way way better solution....forget about the delay or anything else....

Go to your workflow->doubly click on your hotkey to open the hotkey settings(can also right click->configure)->Right click in the hotkey field and change

the trigger behaviour to "Wait until modifier keys are released" :)

That will do it!

Always learn something new ^^

Yeah, the slow minimise/maximise is a "feature" of OS X. It happens when you SHIFT-click on a minimised application.

This is a general problem with Hotkeys: if you've still got your fingers on modifier keys when an AppleScript that simulates clicks/keypresses runs, you also get the modifiers you've got your fat fingers on.