Alfred 3 Pref Cog option missing?

I am using Alfred 3 (release) [i am a Mega Supporter.  I noticed the "Pref Cog" disappeared from my Alfred Theme.  I assumed this was a problem with the Appearances preferences, so I accessed Alfred's preferences,selected "Appearance", and then "Options", and I noticed the "Options" pane does NOT appear to have an option for showing the Pref Cog.  Should I assume this is a bug?

If not, please restore the feature... I know I can access Alfred's preferences by just typing "preferences" but prefer the cog.

I am using Alfred 3 (release) [i am a Mega Supporter.  I noticed the "Pref Cog" disappeared from my Alfred Theme.  I assumed this was a problem with the Appearances preferences, so I accessed Alfred's preferences,selected "Appearance", and then "Options", and I noticed the "Options" pane does NOT appear to have an option for showing the Pref Cog.  Should I assume this is a bug?

If not, please restore the feature... I know I can access Alfred's preferences by just typing "preferences" but prefer the cog.

The cog was removed by design as it added additional fuss to the UI, especially now that there is much more flexibility with theming (e.g. extreme rounded corners).

There are four ways to get to the preferences:

1. From the hat in the OS X menu bar, selecting "Preferences..."

2. Typing 'preferences' into Alfred (as you spotted)

3. Showing Alfred, then using ⌘, (my personal fave, extremely fast)

4. Using Alfred Remote to launch Alfred's preferences with a single touch

It also wouldn't be too hard to setup a hotkey workflow to launch the Alfred preferences with a global hotkey :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Is there any fancy hack way to enable the cog, or is it entirely gone?

I am a minimal Alfred user. Somehow this is bugging me enough where I could get away with going back to 2 to have my cog back. It's slightly amusing that I have an option to show a *hat* that has a trivial function and seems even fussier to me.

It's difficult to unlearn not having it there; apparently it has been there since I started using Alfred in 2011  :(

Edited by whee

Is there any fancy hack way to enable the cog, or is it entirely gone?

I am a minimal Alfred user. Somehow this is bugging me enough where I could get away with going back to 2 to have my cog back. It's slightly amusing that I have an option to show a *hat* that has a trivial function and seems even fussier to me.

It's difficult to unlearn not having it there; apparently it has been there since I started using Alfred in 2011  :(

I second this opinion. To keep my menu bar less cluttered, I hide the Alfred icon. I like the command+, shortcut but yes, the hat serves less functionality than the cog.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated to Alfred 3 today from Alfred 2. I created an account on this forum just for the cog.

I also prefer a minimal look to my menubar,  removing or hiding most icons with Bartender. I completely hid Alfred 2, because it was easily accessed with ⌘-spacebar. On the rare occasion I needed Alfred's preferences, the cog was not merely convenient -- it was the only obvious access point.

While ⌘, and the other three methods work, I generally don't need to mess with Alfred's preferences. For this very reason, I would not necessarily remember any shortcuts -- yet when I need the preferences, I really need them.

I advocate the return of the cog, or for the hat to take its place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...