Assorted feature requests

segphault

Some feature requests that I documented over the weekend while writing my first workflow:

• Ability to buffer input for script filters (Wait until user is finished typing before calling script)
    • Usage scenario: more reliable usage of web script filters that hit slow web APIs (e.g. GitHub repo search)
  • Debugging tools for script filters, or at least a mechanism that lets me see stdout
    • Usage scenario: It'd be great to be able to know if my Python script raised an exception or emitted bad XML.
  • Allow keyboard shortcut to open Alfred file browser at a certain path
    • Usage scenario: cmd+ctrl+shift+d to browse ~/Dropbox.
    • I was able to do this in previous version of Alfred, but can't find v2 equivalent
  • Allow keyboard shortcut to pass arbitrary text string as arg
    • Usage scenario: I want to have keyboard shortcuts for my Hue workflow that set the value to 0 or 255 (highest and lowest brightness)
  • Support JSON output for script filters
    • XML is a pain to generate and properly encode. Serializing a dictionary into JSON from Python is much easier.
  • Add an option that enables piping to script actions so that we have the choice of reading from stdin instead of using {query}.
    • Usage scenario: this would be desirable for things like my markdown processor where I'm potentially taking a large amount of arbitrary text as input
  • A way to name scripts actions (or provide some other way to make them easily distinguishable)
    • Usage scenario: If I have several in a workflow, it's sometimes hard to find the one I'm actually looking for
  • Hotkey option for "selected text OR clipboard" that will use clipboard as input when no text is selected.
    • Usage scenario: this is something that I wanted for my Markdown workflow so that I don't have to have two separate shortcuts.

Thanks!

In response to suggestion 1 and 2..

1. I started restricting string length on searches. That may help a little. If a search string is less than 3-4 characters, don't execute.

2. Andrew and I discussed something similar to this at one point but not sure something like this would make it to v2.0

Great ideas though!

I like a lot of those ideas, in particular:

- input buffer for script filters

- JSON encoding of script filter output

- selected text or clipboard argument for hotkeys

and while I the topic of the third:

'selected text', 'clipboard' and 'selected text OR clipboard' options for keyword inputs

'selected finder items' arguments for hotkeys and keywords

How likely is it that we might see the JSON feature request implemented anytime in the near future? 

I bet a lot more great workflows would get made with that in place. Can't overstate that being able to avoid the extra hassle of converting stuff over to XML would be a huge boon (especially for people who aren't using the Python or PHP Alfred libs that are already out there... I personally would be using Go for building my workflows)

I dont see how converting stuff over to xml is so much more challenging than json? Also, granted you would have to go through the work of making it initially but i made a function that accepts an array or a json object and converts it to the correct xml.