kodiak

File Icons Above the Right Edge of the Alfred Bar and More Noob Questions

Hello!

New Alfred user here, so the questions are accordingly newbie-level.

1. I was wondering what are the small icons that sometimes appear above the right edge of the Alfred bar (see attachment)

2. Is it possible to sort file actions in my own custom order?

3. Many of the file actions in Alfred result in the termination of the Alfred bar (like moving a file). Many times this is desired, sometimes it's not. Is it possible to define a hotkey to be pressed while performing the action that will leave the Alfred bar open even after performing the file action?

4. I use the dictionary feature a lot, and I would like that each definition to appear in its entirety in the Alfred window, and not just a preview, so I won't have to open the Dictionary app. This is how it's done in Spotlight. Is this possible?

5. I use the left and right and arrow keys to navigate folders. Is it possible to define that the right arrow key also opens the actions menu for files? (left arrow goes back)

6. Is it possible to make cmd-down arrow open files and folders, in addition to the return key?

Thanks!

1.png

Edited by kodiak

1. The File Buffer.
  2. No. Alfred learns what you use the most for each type and prioritises accordingly.
  3. Not with the default actions, but if you build your own Workflow you can control the window behaviour.
  4. No. Though it would be nice if we could at least ⇧ or ⌘Y to see the full definition with the Quick Look feature. Might make a good feature suggestion.
  5. Yes. Alfred Preferences → File Search → Actions → (first checkbox).
  6. No.

Thank you so much for the elaborate reply, vitor!

Some further questions:

1. If I enable the first checkbox under "Actions", it disables the usage of ← and → for navigation. I would like to use the arrows for folder navigation, but also use → to show the action menu for FILES (it makes sense a given file is usually the last "stop" in the file navigation process).

2. Is the double-⌘ unreliable? At first, I configured it to be the hotkey for the "File Selection" feature, but many it times Alfred didn't catch it and I had to repeat the double tap again.

3. What's the default hotkey for this feature anyway?

4. Is it possible to browse files in a given folder while in Quick Look mode? That is, tap shift, then use ↓/↑ to show Quick Look for the different files - just like with Space in Finder. Right now, I need to tap shift to open Quick Look for a file, then tap it again to close Quick Look, then use the arrows the select a different file and then tap shift again to Quick Look for that file, and so on. It's very inefficient.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, kodiak said:

I would like to use the arrows for folder navigation, but also use → to show the action menu for FILES (it makes sense a given file is usually the last "stop" in the file navigation process).

Not necessarily. It’s just as likely the last stop is a directory, especially if you want to run an action on it. Alfred doesn’t provide the mixed behaviour you describe.

1 hour ago, kodiak said:

2. Is the double-⌘ unreliable? At first, I configured it to be the hotkey for the "File Selection" feature, but many it times Alfred didn't catch it and I had to repeat the double tap again.

Double-⌘ never failed me, but it’s not a shortcut I use often. I’m also not aware of other complaints in this regard.

1 hour ago, kodiak said:

3. What's the default hotkey for this feature anyway?

⌥⌘\

1 hour ago, kodiak said:

4. Is it possible to browse files in a given folder while in Quick Look mode? That is, tap shift, then use ↓/↑ to show Quick Look for the different files - just like with Space in Finder.

No. I’m not sure this is al Alfred limitation, however, and it might instead be something imposed by macOS. But File Navigation has a preview built-in.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:32 PM, vitor said:

Not necessarily. It’s just as likely the last stop is a directory, especially if you want to run an action on it. Alfred doesn’t provide the mixed behaviour you describe.

First of all, thanks again!

Regarding what you said: you're right - a directory may be the last stop. However, a file HAS to be the last stop, and in any case, → is a wasted key when a file is highlighted (when using the arrows for navigation), and it should be utilized - as I suggested, to open the Action menu. Perhaps I'll suggest this as a feature?

One more question:

I was wondering if, while in Alferd's file navigation (for example, when viewing the contents of a folder) I can use my keyboard to select multiple files, whether consecutively or not. Ideally, I would like to handle file selection as it is in the Windows File Explorer, where using different combinations of SHIFT, CTRL and Space allow me to select multiple files - consecutively, non-consecutively, or both - all with the keyboard. Here's a GIF demo:

pkWZlWm.gif

Afterwards, I would like to open the Action menu for all of selected files.

Is all of this possible?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, kodiak said:

while in Alferd's file navigation (for example, when viewing the contents of a folder) I can use my keyboard to select multiple files

That's precisely what the File Buffer is for (the icons above Alfred's bar).

See Alfred Preferences > Features > File Search > Buffer for usage.