Chromium Bookmarks and History Search

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, 40-02 said:

@Acidham, thanks for your workflow! I use it quite often. 

Can you please consider such feature request: to add the keyword which will list results sorted not by number of visits, but by recency - when the url was visited last. 

I believe it can be handy. 

You mean triggered by a separat keyword e.g. `bhs` which sorts based on recently visitied?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @Acidham - I've been using this workflow for a while now and really appreciate it. Recently (and I'm not sure if this is associated with moving to Alfred 5 or v3.x of the workflow) the workflow has stopped working for me (i.e. no results returned).

Alfred sometimes (seems to be inconsistent & I'm not sure how to reliably recreate) now returns the following error:

Unable to run task!

Reason: working directory doesn't exist.

/bin/bash

Check that the selected language exists on your system.

If you're syncing Alfred's preferences, also check that all related workflow files exist locally.

Related Workflow Info...

Name: 'Chromium Bookmarks and History Search'

Folder:/Users/gordonbazeley/src/gjb/alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.39ACD55A-6B54-4EF0-B23F-3E13AD9E34EF

... any ideas on how to resolve please? I tried changing /bin/bash to /bin/zsh with no change in behaviour

Many thanks,

Gordon

Thanks @Acidham In terminal I get the following

$ where bash
-bash: where: command not found
$ locate bash

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.
To create the database, run the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Please be aware that the database can take some time to generate; once
the database has been created, this message will no longer appear.

$ which bash
/opt/homebrew/bin/bash

The last command returns the same result after

chsh -s /bin/bash

I'm getting the same (lack of) result with the new version I'm afraid i.e. 

image.thumb.png.72ab6728365cbf7bcb299d64593dcecd.png

3 hours ago, Acidham said:

I changed to shebang to /bin/zsh. Therefore, what result do you get with where zsh?

What macOS version are you using? Even /bin/bash/ should be available at least.

I'm using 12.3.1.

I deleted the workflow and reinstalled ... and now it's working fine. Thanks again for your help 🙂

• 10 months later...

@AcidhamThank you for this workflow. Maybe it's asking too much but any way the performance of this workflow can be improved? Once I trigger the history search, it takes a few seconds for it to return the results.

There used to be another workflow (built-in Go) that would return the history results instantly, but it was only for Chrome 😐

I of course prefer this workflow as it has extra features like last visit and hits. LMK if I can help in any way

https://github.com/pasela/alfred-chrome-history

Doesn't seem like a laptop issue. I'm on M1 Pro

Edited by andy4222
11 hours ago, andy4222 said:

but any way the performance of this workflow can be improved

I am on M1 Pro as well, but search works superfast. Improving performance implies I need to be able to reproduce first or being able to narrow down to one of the browsers. 

I suggest starting, narrowing the problem down to one Browser. Delete history files and start from scratch and see when performance gets worse, etc. 

Once reproducible, I am happy to look into the issue. 

is there any way to search safari bookmarks and history in the same time like spotlight do?

Most of times, when I didn’t add one website to bookmark, I can’t get the search result even if I visit that website frequently.

I’ve asked @alfredapp this question on twitter, and got the workflow ”Chromium Bookmarks and History Search”, I’ve installed it, but this workflow allows the search of the two with separate keywords, so how to tweak it to show both at once?

I tried modify the trigger keyword to the same, but it didn’t work.

I am not familiar with creating workflow, so please show step by step.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 5.07.35 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 5.09.25 AM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 11:09 PM, taofuns said:

is there any way to search safari bookmarks and history in the same time like spotlight do?

Most of times, when I didn’t add one website to bookmark, I can’t get the search result even if I visit that website frequently.

I’ve asked @alfredapp this question on twitter, and got the workflow ”Chromium Bookmarks and History Search”, I’ve installed it, but this workflow allows the search of the two with separate keywords, so how to tweak it to show both at once?

I tried modify the trigger keyword to the same, but it didn’t work.

I am not familiar with creating workflow, so please show step by step.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 5.07.35 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 5.09.25 AM.jpg

Currently, there is no way to merge both searches into one keyword.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:07 PM, json12 said:

Works great! Thank you. Couple suggestions:

1. Is it possible to add search for open tabs? 

2. Anyway to show icon of browser instead favicons of the link? 

1. Tab search is not supported for History and Bookmark search. There are other workflows available to perform Tab search.
  2. What is the value of the browser icon? The use case is to have an independent search across all browsers in use, but it always opens in the default browser or if you press CMD + ENTER you can open in another browser. 

1. It would be nice to be able to search Open Tabs, History, and Bookmarks for Arc in one app. Do you know which one supports this?

2. I use Arc browser on Mac and Safari on iOS and I’d like to know which browser I used to visit that particular webpage. Currently it’s showing dark Chrome icon and not many use Chrome.