Chromium Bookmarks and History Search

Currently it’s showing dark Chrome icon and not many use Chrome.

The Chrome icon is a fallback icon in case favicon cannot be found. The idea is to show pages in a search result that belong together. For example, searching for Alfred …the results are visually grouped together.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 08.57.52.png

Edited by Acidham
5 hours ago, Acidham said:
Currently it’s showing dark Chrome icon and not many use Chrome.

The Chrome icon is a fallback icon in case favicon cannot be found. The idea is to show pages in a search result that belong together. For example, searching for Alfred …the results are visually grouped together.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 08.57.52.png

Favicons unselected in preferences due to speed. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Acidham, I think you should use the keyword for history search with Argument Optional. Most of the time I just want to search my recent history without typing anything. Using Argument Required makes harder to find what I want if I don’t recall the proper query.

Also, it’s a good practice to include an option to change the keywords in the user configuration panel. I think it’s something @vitor could suggest to developers when reviewing the workflows submitted to the Gallery. I can’t understand why you adopted bh for history. What does bh stand for? If it’s “browser history” you should use something like bb for the bookmarks to make it consistant. Personally, I would adopt hi and bm as default.

@xilopaint 

I think you should use the keyword for history search with Argument Optional.

Makes sense!

Also, it’s a good practice to include an option to change the keywords in the user configuration panel.

I doubt that this is good practice. I am often using this workflow (https://alfred.app/workflows/acidham/search-alfred-workflows/) to find the right workflow. With pressing SHIFT, I get a documentation with keyboard shortcuts. When using configurable keywords, I am just seeing a variable name, which does not help at all. 

I would adopt hi and bm as default.

You can do that by just changing the shortcut, right?

1 hour ago, Acidham said:

I doubt that this is good practice.

All official workflows from Alfred Team that I know of use this practice in User Configuration. The configuration panel is intended to be the place where the user can configure the workflow, not the editor. Some workflows have tons of objects and is not easy to find the proper object to change a keyword.

1 hour ago, Acidham said:

You can do that by just changing the shortcut, right?

Sure, but before I did that I've struggled a lot trying to remember your keyword because it doesn't make any sense to me. That's why I asked you what it stands for. My suggestion was to make life easier for the user.

Edited by xilopaint

@xilopaint Are there any other possibilities to lookup Alfred Workflow and Shortcuts similar to what `Alfred Search Workflow` provides? If yes, I changed to define shortcuts in User Configuration. Otherwise, I would refrain from the “good practice”. 
Define KS in User Configuration is ok, but I would rather not open User configuration all the time to look up KS. For me, it looks like a workaround rather than a good practice. 

25 minutes ago, vitor said:

By using Alfred’s official question mark search you can jump straight to a keyword (or Script Filter and others) even if it’s defined from a variable.

This. I can easily find the keywords of my PDF Tools workflow this way, for example:
image.png.9d5e34c33e61cdca1a55c081305507fd.png

I just would make it more granular for keywords, maybe using a keyword like ?k. It would be useful as Alfred’s functionality is heavily keyword dependent.

Edited by xilopaint
  • 5 months later...

I'm confused about searching Arc bookmarks, because Arc doesn't have bookmarks as far as i can tell.

When you say it searches Arc bookmarks, what do you mean?

The context here is that I'm trying to switch browsers and I want something that works like Alfred's built-in "bm" keyboard shortcut for Chrome bookmarks, which is how I found this extension...but now I'm learning that Arc doesn't have bookmarks, so I'm confused.

I don't use bookmarks at all. Instead, I built this workflow that relies heavily on my browser history. For me, the URLs I visit frequently become my 'bookmarks' in a way.

Since Arc imports bookmarks from other browsers but doesn't support them natively, it hasn't been an issue for me. I navigate mostly through my history, which effectively serves as a dynamic list of my most visited and important sites.

Curious to hear how others are adapting to this or if anyone else has ditched traditional bookmarks for a more fluid approach like history search.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Beery said:

Is there a way to configure the workflow to always search in a different profile?

Not easily via config UI but you can change the `chrom_history.py`. At the beginning of the file, the paths are configured.