Window Arrangement Workflow

This workflow is useable but also a skeleton I made to answer a question @rosenkrieger asked on app.net (https://alpha.app.net/rosenkrieger/post/4397777).

In the form I present it, it has hotkeys and (non searchable) the ".arrange" keyword which lists some arrangement setups (frontmost window left, right, top left quarter) and an example on starting an application (safari) and moving its window into place.

Keep in mind this was more a proof of concept for testing if it is possible to start apps and arrange windows with alfred in an easy way.

It can be used to resize the frontmost window by keeping the application name in setWin() empty (see the first 3 of my sample setups)

It also can be used as base to create your own customized workflow which starts applications and puts it's window into the place you want (see the 4th setup)

After installing the workflow set the Hotkeys to "Shift + ALT + CMD + A", "Shift + ALT + CMD + B", "Shift + ALT + CMD + C",  "Shift + ALT + CMD + D"

When you then press the hotkeys it does the frontmost window resize magic. You can also pop up Alfred and type ".arrange " to get the list of available arrangement setups and chose one of them.

Feel free to modify the script (pretty straight forward I think) to do what you want!

Download: https://github.com/oderwat/alfredworkflows/blob/master/Window%20Arrangements.alfredworkflow

Edited by oderwat

This workflow is useable but also a skeleton I made to answer a question @rosenkrieger asked on app.net (https://alpha.app.net/rosenkrieger/post/4397777).

In the form I present it, it has hotkeys and (non searchable) the ".arrange" keyword which lists some arrangement setups (frontmost window left, right, top left quarter) and an example on starting an application (safari) and moving its window into place.

Keep in mind this was more a proof of concept for testing if it is possible to start apps and arrange windows with alfred in an easy way.

It can be used to resize the frontmost window by keeping the application name in setWin() empty (see the first 3 of my sample setups)

It also can be used as base to create your own customized workflow which starts applications and puts it's window into the place you want (see the 4th setup)

After installing the workflow set the Hotkeys to "Shift + ALT + CMD + A", "Shift + ALT + CMD + B", "Shift + ALT + CMD + C",  "Shift + ALT + CMD + D"

When you then press the hotkeys it does the frontmost window resize magic. You can also pop up Alfred and type ".arrange " to get the list of available arrangement setups and chose one of them.

Feel free to modify the script (pretty straight forward I think) to do what you want!

Download: https://github.com/oderwat/alfredworkflows/blob/master/Window%20Arrangements.alfredworkflow

Wish there was restore window, and full screen. Can you add that?

Wish there was restore window, and full screen. Can you add that?

Full screen is easy if you can copy/paste the code with basis understandings.

Restore is not as easy because it needs to store "old" position and size (and only do this if it has actually changed). This could be added by storing the current positions in a little database. Not sure if I am going to implement that (soon) as the whole thing was more a proof of concept for me.

I extensively use the Snap Areas of BetterSnapTool and don't really have usage for my own workflow :)

Nice workflow! Thanks for sharing, although I am hooked on Slate I doubt I will have a chance to take advantage but if you've never heard of the open source window management app it's definitely worth a look. I don't think another app has a feature it can't match... 

I've been waiting for someone to make a workflow for "Slate" as the thing that Slate is missing is something like a "Command Palette" feature where you can quickly see and toggle your different states and Alfred's feedback would be perfect for this. I'm sure one of you script wizards could find a solution but if you haven't tried it out I highly recommend it.

Instructions for setting up various values and key combos can be found on the wiki/frontpage and there is also a compiled version you can download from the same page. Search github for ".slate" files for example configs of other users to find some nifty tricks.

Sorry to get off topic, just reminded me though of how great Alfred + Slate could be for window management...

Thanks again for sharing, love your "Last Changed Files" workflow, starting getting hooked on it last night. Plans to integrate your workflows with something like "Alleyoop" for auto-updating?

Edited by twinpeaks

Well... Alleyoop is cool for Workflows which are "set" ... the "Last changed files" one could make use of it. I consider that if there are more updates coming.

The window arranger is more like a sandbox for people if they want to use it. It was originally meant to start multiple apps by hotkey and arrange them. I am not sure about slate but no windows manger I know can do that. My "frontmost" window manipulation is more for "showing" something.

Slate looks nice but as I wrote, I totally rely on the Custom Snap Areas which only are in better Snap Tool. A feature which is mostly overlooked I guess.

Well... Alleyoop is cool for Workflows which are "set" ... the "Last changed files" one could make use of it. I consider that if there are more updates coming.

The window arranger is more like a sandbox for people if they want to use it. It was originally meant to start multiple apps by hotkey and arrange them. I am not sure about slate but no windows manger I know can do that. My "frontmost" window manipulation is more for "showing" something.

Slate looks nice but as I wrote, I totally rely on the Custom Snap Areas which only are in better Snap Tool. A feature which is mostly overlooked I guess.

Definitely understand, I was more talking about alleyoop support for your "Last Changed Files" workflow anyhow. In the case of window arranger, yeah, I don't see you working on a workflow that you don't use so don't expect many updates. Thanks again for sharing both of them.