"Eject" commands missing

Chris Messina

This seems like a new issue since I've setup my new M1 MacBook Pro, but even though I have the "eject" and "ejectall" System commands enabled, they don't appear in my Alfred results.

Any reason why this would be? (And yes, I had several external volumes mounted when I tried to execute this command)

image.thumb.png.563e01a31f4b0fe66fdebfd4763887b7.png

2 hours ago, Chris Messina said:

they don't appear in my Alfred results.

An image of /Volumes would have been more useful than of your fallback searches…

2 hours ago, Chris Messina said:

Any reason why this would be?

The obvious candidates would be Alfred lacking permission to enumerate /Volumes or the part of the OS responsible for that going tits-up. I assume you've already quit and restarted Alfred.

Have you checked permissions? Does browsing /Volumes in Alfred work? Are Finder and Disk Utility enumerating your volumes correctly? If you've got a third-party file manager, like ForkLift or Path Finder, can you eject volumes from them?

10 minutes ago, deanishe said:

An image of /Volumes would have been more useful than of your fallback searches…

Here you go. As you can see, Alfred has access to and can see my Volumes.

890387440_2021-12-03(13_29.20)Finder.thumb.png.9d58327409678e4bda3519115b54d5bf.png

22527894_2021-12-03(13_28.43)GoogleChrome.thumb.png.55c7577f84b26ecec8de84d75993946f.png

Similarly, Disk Utility can see all of my volumes too:

1518833308_2021-12-03(13_30.13)DiskUtility.png.c513fe3a9b8fbb5233f9046640b6c4ca.png

I do no have any third party Finder extensions installed. 

The Eject command worked on my Intel MacBook Pro; it doesn't seem to work on my M1 MacBook Pro. I do/have synced my Alfred settings between both using Dropbox. 

4 minutes ago, Chris Messina said:

I do no have any third party Finder extensions installed.

Not Finder extensions, third-party file managers. Something like ForkLift. An application that would be using the same APIs as Alfred, basically.

Could you post the output of ls /Volumes?

Edited by deanishe

8 minutes ago, deanishe said:

Not Finder extensions, third-party file managers. Something like ForkLift. An application that would be using the same APIs as Alfred, basically.

Afraid not. This is a clean install of macOS... I've been re-installing my apps one at a time, and haven't installed anything like that (that I know of). 

Here's the output of that command:

image.png.9518a88727f396d5269181ffb903d374.png

31 minutes ago, deanishe said:

You have it set to "Removable Media". That doesn't include disks. You want one of the other options.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Yep, that did it. Good catch! Thanks!

image.png.895d4982da37d6c744bacf25fad30e8e.png

Now I see:

1352465270_2021-12-03(14_37_37)AlfredPreferences.thumb.png.7e42fa030655de4d8bf1cbcc02167cb0.png

It does occur to me that @Andrew may want to update the exclusion list to include `*.backup`, since com.apple.TimeMachine* doesn't exclude Time Machine backups.

image.png.9ffbffa0e8876f95277e7cd45c7304e3.png

Edited by Chris Messina
added exclusion tip

30 minutes ago, Chris Messina said:

It does occur to me that @Andrew may want to update the exclusion list to include `*.backup`

That came up the other day, but I didn’t realise it was standard now. Yeah, it probably wants updating. I wonder if .timemachine* might not be a better choice. *.backup might catch some other things.

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

I wonder if .timemachine* might not be a better choice. *.backup might catch some other things.

Possibly, but .timemachine* doesn't actually exclude all those dated .backup files in my screenshot, which should be the intention (since those are Time Machine backups!). 

• 4 weeks later...

@Chris Messina Thanks for posting this – I thought I was losing it a little when I couldn't get the eject command to appear. This seems like a small UX issue where the eject command is the only contextual System option – the Eject command should still show up in the results but there should be a "No [type of thing] connected" or something like that. Anyway, glad to know it was a simple fix.

1 hour ago, Neilio said:

but there should be a "No [type of thing] connected" or something like that.

Fundamentally, Alfred doesn’t work that way. If a command/search/workflow returns no results, Alfred always shows its fallback searches instead.

A lot of workflows deliberately show a "nothing found" result, but built-in Alfred features do not, so for better or worse, I don't see Eject being changed to work differently to everything else.

I'm likely going to be moving to a different macOS framework for discovering and presenting ejectable drives in the future, however, I do agree that these backup volumes shouldn't be shown for now.

Alfred uses NSString isLike: for this comparison, which allows NSPredicate style formatting (cut down REGEX). I could limit this catching the wrong items by using something a bit janky like this in the default ignore list:

[0-9]*-[0-9]*-[0-9]*-*.backup