Search for "mouse" goes to incorrect macOS 13 pref. pane

Stephen_C

I suspect I know why this is happening but wanted to report it anyway. I am using Alfred 5 (version 5.0.4 - build 2093) and macOS 13.0. Searching for preference panes in System Settings works well but although searching for "mouse" shows this:

1122126381_Screenshot2022-10-28at14_17_37.thumb.png.d06fd2a19d879b58bc0dfdd524b63e15.png

going to that first search result goes to the "Appearance" pane in System Settings.

When preparing my workflow for Ventura System Settings I discovered that the "mouse" identifier (x-apple.systempreferences:com.apple.Mouse-Settings.extension) did exactly the same as this search result—and, indeed, it appears there is no specific, principal pane for “mouse” (with various mouse options deep down the mousehole within “Accessibility”).

There were, I think, a couple of other identifiers that did something similar (i.e., went to "Appearance" when they should have gone to a specific, different pane) but I'm afraid I can't now recall what they were. If I can find them and they also produce a similar odd search result I'll edit this post to add them.

Edit: searching for "passwords" produces a similar problem (although "Passwords" does work in my workflow).

Stephen

Edited by Stephen_C
Added further example

15 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

going to that first search result goes to the "Appearance" pane in System Settings.

Not quite. What’s it’s doing is nothing. If you change to another pane then open the mouse one, you’ll see it stays in whatever pane you are.

Coincidentally we have bumped into a few of these today. It’s not an issue with Alfred, though, but with macOS. Open the /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ folder and double click those panes. You’ll see exactly the same behaviour (because that’s just what Alfred is doing, opening those panes). This needs to be reported to Apple instead, via the Feedback Assistant app.

51 minutes ago, vitor said:

What’s it’s doing is nothing. If you change to another pane then open the mouse one, you’ll see it stays in whatever pane you are.

That may be right if System Settings is left open. However, I invariably close it. Then, on any occasion I search for "mouse" (as in my first post) the "Appearance" pane is opened in System Settings.

Stephen

As there are now two excellent workflows to work around the macOS issue, I'll close the bug. We'll of course keep an eye on Apple fixing things, but in the meantime, users are in good hands :)

Vítor's workflow to search by keyword:

And Stephen's List Filter based workflow: