Workflow Icons Not Saving

Since updating to Alfred 5 (or one of the subsequent versions), my workflow icons do not get saved. I have been able to replicate. These have been saved at the workflow name level (in the purple column). Prior to this I could drag and drop an icon and it would persist, despite closing the Alfred Preferences window.

I have replicated dragging and dropping both jpg and png files, both large and small.

For some reason if I save an icon embedded in the workflow itself (not sure why that's even an option) it does seem to save (but of course that doesn't help me).

Alfred version 5.0.5 [2096]

Mac OS Ventura 13.0 

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by DannyS
Add specific Alfred build number

Are you referring to adding an icon by double-clicking the workflow name and dragging an icon file into the appropriate box in the window that then opens? If so, that works for me using the same version of Alfred as you and macOS 13.0.1.

Do your workflows use a bundle id?

Stephen

@DannyS I'm not able to replicate the issue either.

Every other change to your workflows saves correctly and only the workflow's main icon doesn't appear to save for you? If you create a new workflow and set an icon, does it save correctly?

Could you also let me know if and how you're syncing your preferences? I'm wondering whether there might be permissions issues on some of your files from upgrading to Ventura.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:31 AM, Stephen_C said:

Are you referring to adding an icon by double-clicking the workflow name and dragging an icon file into the appropriate box in the window that then opens? If so, that works for me using the same version of Alfred as you and macOS 13.0.1.

Do your workflows use a bundle id?

Stephen

I am referring to adding an icon by clicking on the workflow name, as you describe. No bundle id.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:57 AM, Vero said:

@DannyS I'm not able to replicate the issue either.

Every other change to your workflows saves correctly and only the workflow's main icon doesn't appear to save for you? If you create a new workflow and set an icon, does it save correctly?

Could you also let me know if and how you're syncing your preferences? I'm wondering whether there might be permissions issues on some of your files from upgrading to Ventura.

@VeroI have not noticed any other changes not being saved.  

These were all workflows i previously created (or saved from other sources). But at your suggestion I just created a new simple workflow to open a website and added an icon. I then quit and reopened preferences and it successfully saved the icon. However, once again none of the other workflow icons saved.

I am syncing to Dropbox and on a (wired) Ethernet connection:

image.png.1bd3fd8afd4a4a9f780b97c236e50750.png

Edited by DannyS
Tagged recipient; clarification

@DannyS I've had a look at the Diagnostics file and there's nothing unusual.

The most likely source of issue I can identify would be Dropbox, as it's possible that there are some missing permissions caused by the Ventura upgrade (or the ongoing Dropbox service's evolution)

First, please make a backup of your Alfred.alfredpreferences from Dropbox to a safe location on your Mac, so that you can return to them later if needed.

Next, try setting your sync location in Alfred's Advanced preferences to a local path, e.g. in your Home directory, create an Alfred folder. This is only temporary to allow us to test permissions.

Once you've done this, re-open the Workflows preferences and try saving the icon you're having issues with. Is it saving now? 

If that works, try creating a NEW folder for Dropbox syncing and setting this as your new sync folder. (You'll need to reflect this on any other Macs you're syncing as well). This may be sufficient to get around a permissions issue caused by an upgrade :)

Cheers,
Vero

Sorry for delay, @Vero. Busy with work.

I did what you suggested. Interestingly, some of my icons reappeared after I relocated my preferences file location (they had been missing prior to that). I found one workflow that was missing and saved it again. I then closed and re-opened Preferences and it saved!

Great diagnosis, Vero.

Now should I try relocating back to the Dropbox folder to see if things work?

Danny

@DannyS Before moving back to Dropbox, take a backup once again.

I would recommend creating a new folder in Dropbox rather than reusing the old one, which may clear out any permissions issues with the old one. Next, ensure that the folder is set to be stored locally (i.e. Smart Sync is disabled on the new folder) 

As ever, I'd still recommend including that folder in your Time Machine backup :) 

15 hours ago, Vero said:

Next, ensure that the folder is set to be stored locally (i.e. Smart Sync is disabled on the new folder) 

I understood everything except for this. But I think you're saying to ensure that the file is available online (I think Dropbox used that term to signify files that were online only and the local copy was just a pointer.

Do I have this right?