"Your computer had to restart because of a problem"

robgill

When I come to shut down I often use Alfred to "Quit All Applications" then the "Shut Down." I do this at the end of each day.

I sported this bug, sometimes if you "Quit all" and "shut down" before all the apps have closed, my computer reboots and displays a message "Your computer had to restart because of a problem."

I have noticed this nearly always happens when I tell Alfred to quit all, then shut down straight after. And because it sometimes takes a long time for all applications to close (usually an adobe program that just takes ages to quit), if I force quite the apps that are taking a while, then the mac shuts down, but the reboots instantly with the error message.

Because I noticed this I have been telling Alfred to Quit all, and waiting a while for all the apps to close in their own time. Then I would Tell Alfred to shut down. This usually works, but occasionally the computer restarts and still tells me "Your computer had to restart because of a problem."

Just thought I'd let you know as you might be able to fix it.

Apart from that Alfred has been running great, it's one of my favourite apps!

When I come to shut down I often use Alfred to "Quit All Applications" then the "Shut Down." I do this at the end of each day.

I sported this bug, sometimes if you "Quit all" and "shut down" before all the apps have closed, my computer reboots and displays a message "Your computer had to restart because of a problem."

I have noticed this nearly always happens when I tell Alfred to quit all, then shut down straight after. And because it sometimes takes a long time for all applications to close (usually an adobe program that just takes ages to quit), if I force quite the apps that are taking a while, then the mac shuts down, but the reboots instantly with the error message.

Because I noticed this I have been telling Alfred to Quit all, and waiting a while for all the apps to close in their own time. Then I would Tell Alfred to shut down. This usually works, but occasionally the computer restarts and still tells me "Your computer had to restart because of a problem."

Just thought I'd let you know as you might be able to fix it.

Apart from that Alfred has been running great, it's one of my favourite apps!

Alfred doesn't do anything special when you do the quit all, and the shutdown is a simple system command... so there may be something happening at a lower level on your Mac (perhaps corruption somewhere) which is causing this.

As this hasn't been reported before (and these system commands haven't changed for years), I'm going to move it to closed for now, but I'll keep an eye on this in case it's an issue which has been introduced in a newer update of OS X.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 month later...