Alfred 2 running in background?!

alexreg

For some reason, Alfred 2 seems to be running in the background even when Alfred 3 is running. (Alfred 2 is not a startup item for my user, I double checked.)

I notice this when I quit Alfred 3 and restart it (e.g. for an update), and it complains Alfred 2 is running.

What's up with this?

@alexreg I would guess that you're seeing this because you have a workflow that has a hard-coded reference to Alfred 2, causing it to be launched inadvertently.

Check your workflows, as most will have more current Alfred 3 versions if created by other users. If they're your own workflows, you'll need to update the references. :)

Cheers,
Vero

2 hours ago, Vero said:

@alexreg I would guess that you're seeing this because you have a workflow that has a hard-coded reference to Alfred 2, causing it to be launched inadvertently.

Check your workflows, as most will have more current Alfred 3 versions if created by other users. If they're your own workflows, you'll need to update the references. :)

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks for the reply. Any for an easy way to check for hard-coded references? I have a number of workflows, so no idea just scanning them which might be the culprit!

3 hours ago, alexreg said:

Any for an easy way to check for hard-coded references? I have a number of workflows, so no idea just scanning them which might be the culprit!

How about this?

workflows="$HOME/Dropbox/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows" # Path to your workflows
find $workflows -type f -exec sh -c 'grep -q "Alfred 2" "$0" && echo "$0"' "{}" \;

You can run this in the terminal to return a list of files containing the string "Alfred 2"

greping will likely yield unsatisfactory results. I thought to suggest that but ran the command in my own workflows directory first, and the results were really unhelpful. Most of the results were from frameworks the workflows themselves use, which are just noise in trying to diagnose the cause.

A more efficient way would be to just delete Alfred 2 from the system (@alexreg hasn’t said why he still keeps Alfred 2). Particularly if they can’t run at the same time and he seems to only run Alfred 3 on purpose, I don’t see the reasoning to keep them both (and this problem) around.

1 hour ago, vitor said:

greping will likely yield unsatisfactory results. I thought to suggest that but ran the command in my own workflows directory first.

The results are far from great, but all in all, it's still a damn sight better than going through all your workflows by hand…

1 hour ago, vitor said:

A more efficient way would be to just delete Alfred 2 from the system (@alexreg hasn’t said why he still keeps Alfred 2). Particularly if they can’t run at the same time and he seems to only run Alfred 3 on purpose, I don’t see the reasoning to keep them both (and this problem) around.

Oh definitely. Especially as the "offending" workflows would immediately throw errors (well, fail silently, as is the Alfred way…).

I figured that @alexreg perhaps has a good reason for keeping Alfred 2 around (I still have it installed in case I need to fix a bug in a workflow and don't want to break Alfred 2 support).

Edited by deanishe
I *hate* this editor