Open app with new instance

With the open command we have a -n flag that Open(s) a new instance of the application(s) even if one is already running.

Occasionally I’d like to do that but via Alfred. Would it be possible to add the option of when selecting an app, if we do so with a modifier key, it’ll launch a new instance of it?

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

@vitor if it's only occasionally, why not create a super simple workflow with a file filter wired into a run script to do exactly this?

Same reason as @dfay’s request, I guess. The experience would be better.

One of my use cases is Chrome. I’m using the new headless feature to run some automated tests at certain times. But if I have Chrome closed when a test starts, I’m unable to launch a new instance to do regular browsing. Retriggering Alfred, pressing ↑ followed by ⌘↩ (or whatever) is more intuitive and faster than retriggering Alfred, typing the File Filter keyword, typing a bit more to filter to Chrome, then ↩.

Yes, it’s easy to do it with a Workflow and that’s the route I’ll follow if the feature request is denied. But in the chance you find it a good/workable idea and it’s easy to implement, I’d rather have it natively.

@vitor I'm reluctant to add niche features to Alfred, keeping him away from bloat. I'll keep this as a note for future consideration, but it may come in the form of adding a tick box in the Open File action, which means you'd still need to create a workflow of sorts.

While we're adding options to the Open functionality, there's also screen selection: 

I think this could be done with a couple of modifier keys and/or a preference (ideally per app) to open up functionality for those users who want it without confusing things too much.