Missing variable leads to generic error message when executing List Filter option

I ended up triggering a generic error that wasn't too helpful when I actioned a List Filter item whose output was an "OpenURL" object with a variable that I'd forgotten to add to the Workflow:

210079782_CleanShot2020-12-10at16_19.31@2x.png.c9de8a46f80c251ba08cf7fc4b624934.png

Not sure if Alfred could have caught this, but if it had said something like "Variable [variableName] isn't set." or something, that might be more useful?

Basically the problem was that {var:domain} hadn't been set in the Workflow. I'm not sure if I got the error because the variable wasn't set or that the arg was invalid when it was passed to the Open URL object.

159735951_CleanShot2020-12-10at16_35.00@2x.thumb.png.f667b379a10751612a0ffbf5623e5aa7.png

@Chris Messina An unset or empty variable is also a perfectly valid state, and Alfred can't guess what you want in your specific case.

One option you could do if you rely on that variable is add a conditional utility, and check if that variable is set or not, and post a notification if it's not in a state you expect. It would look something like this:

Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 09.08.24.png

Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 09.10.48.png

Conditionals can also match regex if you want to get clever about the domain variable matching an expected format.

Cheers,

Andrew

9 hours ago, deanishe said:

Can you imagine how many workflows would break if Alfred started throwing an error every time a variable is unset or empty?

Totally. That's not what I'm talking about; only point out that the error message seems more vague than it could be, but perhaps it's not possible to get any more specific.