Snippets not expanding

I've used snippets for several years, but just recently upgraded from to a new MacBook Pro from an older version. Since the upgrade, I can't get snippets to work anywhere. They seemed to work intermittently initially, but now I can't get them to work anywhere.

I've tried all the troubleshooting tips on https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/snippets/#secure-input except for creating a new profile because I wasn't sure if my powerpack would be able to be used with two accounts. I'm running Alfred 5.1[2134] and have attached a screenshot of my MacBook Pro version and OS.

Sometimes the snippets do nothing, sometimes they get autocorrected to a valid word. For example, I have one email signature that uses "sigb" for the snippet keyword, but some apps just change it to the word "sign."

Sincerely,

Tom Hogan

Macbook.jpg

Edited by p3av8r

@p3av8r Could you please provide more details about what's not working with snippets?

- Have you checked that Accessibility is granted to Alfred? Have you tried removing and re-adding Alfred to ensure macOS is "nudged" into seeing that you've granted it?
- If you launch TextEdit (a simple and native app, ideal for testing) and try to expand your snippet, what do you see? Does the keyword disappear, does the snippet content appear, do you hear an error beep?
- If your snippet expands in TextEdit, in which apps do you see a different behaviour?
- What is your snippet keyword? What is the content that should be pasted?

The more information you provide, the easier it'll be for us to help troubleshoot what's happening on your Mac :)

Thanks for the response! I did everything on your troubleshooting snippets page (https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/snippets/) except creating a new profile and have even uninstalled and reinstalled Alfred. I have turned off/on accessibility and all the other security/privacy settings multiple times with no change.

In TextEdit, if my snippet is something that autocorrect might want to change, it doesn't expand and changes to whatever autocorrect wants (for example, "sigb" changes to "sign." If it's a snippet that autocorrect doesn't have a problem with, it does nothing at all...the keyword remains in the document and I don't hear a beep. I have the same behavior in other apps, except sometimes the autocorrect doesn't kick in (for example if I use it in a note in Evernote) and the keyword just remains unchanged in the note.

If I use the "snip" keyword in Alfred and then type the snippet keyword, it works fine.

I've included a screenshot of all my custom snippets and what should be pasted. I've primarily been testing with "sigb" and "/sigs" but I have tried others as well.

Alfred_Preferences_and_Untitled_txt_and_Alfred_5.jpg

3 hours ago, p3av8r said:

I also removed Accessibility permissions for everything on my MacBook except Alfred, with the same results.

You should be doing the reverse. Do remove Alfred’s accessibility permissions then regrant them. Ventura in particular has been showing a bug where permissions stop working but still show up as active. Removing and regranting usually fixes it.

44 minutes ago, vitor said:

You should be doing the reverse. Do remove Alfred’s accessibility permissions then regrant them. Ventura in particular has been showing a bug where permissions stop working but still show up as active. Removing and regranting usually fixes it.

Vitor,

Thanks, but that's what I tried first (multiple times). It was only after that failed that I tried removing accessibility permissions for everything else to see if something was interfering per step 6's of Alfred's snippet and text expansion troubleshooting page (https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/snippets/).

• 8 months later...

Stephen,

I did try those suggestions last May without success and have pretty much given up on snippets. Perhaps it's worth trying again...maybe something has changed in my configuration and they'll work again.

Blessings!

Tom

@p3av8r Could you please follow my suggestion from May 2023 asking you to create a new profile temporarily, activate your Powerpack license, and see if you're able to use it there? This will help us establish whether there may be a deeper permissions issue on your primary profile since, from what you describe (keyword doesn't disappear), it indicates that macOS hasn't granted Alfred accessibility.

16 hours ago, zamboknee said:

Having this issue as well.

@zamboknee Could you please provide more details about what's not working with snippets?

- If you launch TextEdit (a simple and native app, ideal for testing) and try to expand your snippet, what do you see? Does the keyword disappear, does the snippet content appear, do you hear an error beep?
- If your snippet expands in TextEdit, in which apps do you see a different behaviour?
- What is your snippet keyword? What is the content that should be pasted?

The more information you provide, the easier it'll be for me to help troubleshoot what's happening on your Mac :)

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/3/2024 at 11:06 AM, Vero said:

@p3av8r Could you please follow my suggestion from May 2023 asking you to create a new profile temporarily, activate your Powerpack license, and see if you're able to use it there? This will help us establish whether there may be a deeper permissions issue on your primary profile since, from what you describe (keyword doesn't disappear), it indicates that macOS hasn't granted Alfred accessibility.

I tried creating a new user with the same results. The snippets wouldn't expand and it really didn't do anything, even in TextEdit. However, I did notice that most, if not all of the apps that had accessibility permissions in my original profile already had permissions in my new profile. Is there something I should be doing to make sure those same apps aren't in the new profile?

In case it's helpful, here are all the apps that have accessibility permission. I've tried turning off their accessibility permissions one by one, and have turned all of them off except Alfred, with the same results.

Accessibility.jpg

Edited by p3av8r

12 hours ago, p3av8r said:

I've tried turning off their accessibility permissions one by one, and have turned all of them off except Alfred, with the same results.

@p3av8r Keep in mind that unchecking these doesn't immediately stop them, and they'll continue to have accessibility until they, or macOS, are restarted, so could still be having an interfering effect.

Have you tried removing Alfred (using the minus button) and re-adding (using the + button) then restarting your Mac, rather than just unchecking and re-checking it?

While it isn't usually required, could you please try granting Alfred Input Monitoring? You'll find this in the Privacy & Security list, right below Accessibility.

Let us know how you get on :)

12 hours ago, Vero said:

Have you tried removing Alfred (using the minus button) and re-adding (using the + button) then restarting your Mac, rather than just unchecking and re-checking it?

While it isn't usually required, could you please try granting Alfred Input Monitoring? You'll find this in the Privacy & Security list, right below Accessibility.

@Vero Removing Alfred as noted above didn't fix the problem, but granting Alfred Input Monitoring did fix it! YES! I have missed having snippets for so long! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...