Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

Has something changed with Services, when i right click a youtube URL and select "DownMedia Video" I get this error:

"The action “Run JavaScript” encountered an error: “Error: Error: Cannot find workflow with Id 'com.vitorgalvao.alfred.downmedia'”"

The workflow works fine when being triggered by a hot key or typing "DV" into aflred. 

I found after not using this workflow for a a few months, downloads were initiated first time, then disappeared. The log shows a couple of errors:

[14:03:46.259] Download Media[Script Filter] Passing output 'https://youtu.be/FEyVqA-DVwg?si=WuUSr5LWuC6cpnt5' to Run Script
[14:03:57.095] STDERR: Download Media[Run Script] WARNING: You have requested merging of multiple formats but ffmpeg is not installed. The formats won't be merged
xattr: No such file: /Users/ian/Downloads/Girl in China reasons with dad for more play time.mp4
55:228: execution error: Alfred 5 got an error: Cannot find workflow with Id 'com.vitorgalvao.alfred.watchlist' (-2)
You do not have WatchList installed. Download it at https://github.com/vitorgalvao/alfred-workflows/tree/master/WatchList

I assume the ffmpeg error is the important one, though I didn't know we also needed to install another (WatchList) workflow (I see there is a setting in Download Vid to disable this, but it was enabled for me, my memory is fuzzy but I don't remember activating it, but I probably trust you more than I trust myself 😆).

I install ffmpeg myself to my ~/bin folder which is on my shell path, but perhaps that is not picked up by Alfred? How can I symlink so DV can find my ffmpeg?

EDIT: Using yt-dlp in the shell works fine...

Edited by iandol
2 hours ago, iandol said:

I didn't know we also needed to install another (WatchList) workflow

You don’t. That’s optional. There’s no problem with having the option on but not having the workflow installed.

2 hours ago, iandol said:

I install ffmpeg myself to my ~/bin folder which is on my shell path, but perhaps that is not picked up by Alfred?

See Understanding the Scripting Environment.

Install ffmpeg with Homebrew. The workflow’s Gallery page has the information you need, on the box right at the top.

Thanks for link to the (well-written) documentation, that is helpful! I'll symlink to one of those paths as the static builds from https://ffmpeg.martin-riedl.de are more up-to-date, contain some optimisation patches and homebrew's ffmpeg pulls in too many dependencies for my tastes. I realise I am swimming against the recommendations 🤪

EDIT: I can confirm symlinking allowed yt-dlp to use my own ffmpeg builds.

Edited by iandol
confirm symlinking works
  • 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, vitor said:

@Cipri I need more details.

Terminal output: yt-dlp 2023.12.30 already installed
Workflow Version: DownMedia v 2023.3
Alfred Version:  5.1.4
macOs: Sonoma 14.2.1 
Failing link: https://www.facebook.com/DAZNPortugal/videos/335025632708387.  I tried different videos from Facebook, none of them worked.
Debugger output: [20:16:40.516] Logging Started...    (It stays like that, with no further output... )

• 2 months later...

Hi @Victor thank you for making this great workflow. Can you teach me how we can add a username and password as I was attempting to download a Twitter broadcast video but was blocked by the following error:

ERROR: Download Media[Run Script] ERROR: [twitter:broadcast] 1ypKdkoZABeuc: This video is only available for registered users. Use --cookies, --cookies-from-browser, --username and --password, --netrc-cmd, or --netrc (twitter) to provide account credentials

Thanks Victor.

That option is not available and is out of scope. The workflow uses yt-dlp, which is the tool outputting that message, you can run it in the terminal to add the necessary details. Instructions on how to do that are in the linked website.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, alfredpanda said:

are these out of scope?

I don’t pick what’s supported, yt-dlp, used by the workflow, does. Whenever you have an issue with a download, the solution is to try to download it from the Terminal with yt-dlp and report the result on their issue tracker.

Downloading anything which requires credentials is out of scope, though.

5 hours ago, vitor said:

I don’t pick what’s supported, yt-dlp, used by the workflow, does. Whenever you have an issue with a download, the solution is to try to download it from the Terminal with yt-dlp and report the result on their issue tracker.

Downloading anything which requires credentials is out of scope, though.

Thanks for the help, just tried in terminal and you're right it doesn't work. 

Seems like all the use cases I would like - Twitter, Facebook Ad Library, Loom, don't work with yt-dlp.