Default file order file navigation

Hi, 

I use Alfred a lot to get to certain folders. Now all my files and folders start with the date 230627 for example (date auto expansion ;) ), but now I like to have the newer folders on top and so I always have to reverse the order with CMD+SHIFT+S, but this every time I navigate again. Is there a way to set a default? 

Thanks!

On 6/27/2023 at 2:15 PM, sepulchra said:

when you are navigating files within alfred (and not the finder) you can change the sort order with a little gear in the bottom right corner:

image.png.9636ef10ad0d96d3e2bad69e210f043e.png

image.png.a997f49fe6bd585ee0bcd6a33e1f677c.png

Hey, yes I know that, but unfortunately it resets for me every time I navigate somewhere again 😕 

20 minutes ago, huskyhusky said:

unfortunately it resets for me every time I navigate somewhere again

@huskyhusky Do you notice any other preferences you've customised resetting unexpectedly? Sounds like your preferences may not be saving as they should.

Do you sync your preferences, and if so, where? (check Alfred's advanced preferences if you're not sure)

14 minutes ago, Vero said:

@huskyhusky Do you notice any other preferences you've customised resetting unexpectedly? Sounds like your preferences may not be saving as they should.

Do you sync your preferences, and if so, where? (check Alfred's advanced preferences if you're not sure)

I honestly would not have noticed now that something does not save. Yes I sync my settings via Dropbox. Seems to be set correctly. 

18 minutes ago, Vero said:

@Vero And to be even more precise, the setting for sorting by Name, Creation Date, Last Modified Date, all remains, only the sorting within the setting remains A -> Z in my case. I would like it to display Z -> A by default. 

15 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

Have you set your Dropbox folders to be always available offline? You may experience odd results sometimes if that is not the case.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

jes, they are always available. I think it is strange that alfred does not remember that. Can you check if it remembers the sorting A->Z or Z->A on your mac? Unfortunately, I have no way to check this on another computer. 

1 hour ago, huskyhusky said:

Can you check if it remembers the sorting A->Z or Z->A on your mac?

@huskyhusky I've had a deeper look at the exact setting you're referring to, as I had misunderstood your original post as saying that none of the ordering settings in File Navigation were working for you. Apologies for this! :)

While the type of sorting (by name, creation date or last modified date is saved and permanent, the A->Z / Z->A, Oldest to Newest configuration is intentionally temporary. The expected and logically most useful default for this is to be alphabetical or sorted by the newest file, but the ⌘⇧S hotkey combo allows you to quickly flip it when needed. When you then access your File Navigation e.g. the next day, this will be reset to the most logical ordering.

Is there a particular reason you prefer to sort from Z to A as a permanent feature?

All of the above being said, there is a way for you to sort results in the order you prefer using a workflow with a hotkey connected to the Browse in Alfred object. 

image.png

Here I've set it to start navigating at ~ and sort by Last Modified Date by oldest to newest, but you could start from a particular folder or change the sorting.

Let me know if you need any help configuring your own workflow.

48 minutes ago, Vero said:

@huskyhusky I've had a deeper look at the exact setting you're referring to, as I had misunderstood your original post as saying that none of the ordering settings in File Navigation were working for you. Apologies for this! :)

While the type of sorting (by name, creation date or last modified date is saved and permanent, the A->Z / Z->A, Oldest to Newest configuration is intentionally temporary. The expected and logically most useful default for this is to be alphabetical or sorted by the newest file, but the ⌘⇧S hotkey combo allows you to quickly flip it when needed. When you then access your File Navigation e.g. the next day, this will be reset to the most logical ordering.

Is there a particular reason you prefer to sort from Z to A as a permanent feature?

All of the above being said, there is a way for you to sort results in the order you prefer using a workflow with a hotkey connected to the Browse in Alfred object. 

image.png

Here I've set it to start navigating at ~ and sort by Last Modified Date by oldest to newest, but you could start from a particular folder or change the sorting.

Let me know if you need any help configuring your own workflow.

@Vero Thank you for your response. Jes I prefere Z to A because my data system uses a date in every folder name. 230629-ABC for example. And I like to have the newer folders on top for easy access. 

Your solution is perfect. I even have a ton of Browse Via Alfred actions that I use to get to specific locations, and I never saw that there is an option for custom sorting. Perfect for my use. Thank you very much. This helps a lot!