RottenMovies — Check movie scores from Rotten Tomatoes

vitor

This workflow is officially deprecated in favour of Critic Ratings. It was released to the public domain, so I leave the record here if anyone is interested. You can still find the old source on Github.

Type rt and a query, to get results. If more than one movie matches, you’ll see a list.

E06Kc6I.png

Press ↩ on a movie on the list, to get further details (these will appear by default, if your initial query has only one result).

6y7joac.png

Hi Vitor, 

Nice workflow, thanks!

I’ve been using this for a while without issues. While you do not need to worry about an API key, that means results may be a tad slower (particularly since Alfred does that whole thing where it fires the script filter for every keystroke, and you’re sometimes forced to see results for stuff that were relevant only for the first keys you pressed, like an animal).

One possible way is to use the logic implemented in this workflow (I'm not the author)  http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/4636-libgen-search-and-download-pdfs-and-ebooks-from-the-library-genesis-project/#entry28261

It requires the user to type a period (.) after the query in order to initiate the search. 
Just a thought

It requires the user to type a period (.) after the query in order to initiate the search.

Ingenious solution, I like the thinking. Not sure I’ll implement it, though, since it is a bit less intuitive (I’m betting even I would would sometimes forget to do it). This is really something that should’ve already been addressed. Workflow developers have been asking for (and suggesting) solutions to this for a long time, in a variety of different posts, and still we have nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to get this script to work. Regardless of the name of the movie I search for, it always says it can't find any results.

I went ahead and signed up as a developer and got a Rotten Tomatoes API key, but I don't know (if) or where I am suppose to plug it in???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

You’re not supposed to plug the API key anywhere, m021478, that’s the whole point of this workflow, explained in the first post. If you have an API key, there are other workflows you can use it on — it’ll likely get you the results faster.

If you still want to use this one, open the debugger, run it, and post the output.

On another note, when registering for the API, which application name and url did you give?

Edited by Vítor
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Workflow does not work for me. In a search for the query "monsters" I get this error:

Starting debug for 'RottenMovies'

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 0: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:216:in `attr': undefined method `attribute' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
from ./rottenmovies.rb:37:in `block in <main>'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:239:in `block in each'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:238:in `upto'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:238:in `each'
from ./rottenmovies.rb:28:in `<main>'
[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 0: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:216:in `attr': undefined method `attribute' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
from ./rottenmovies.rb:37:in `block in <main>'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:239:in `block in each'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:238:in `upto'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/nokogiri-1.5.6/lib/nokogiri/xml/node_set.rb:238:in `each'
from ./rottenmovies.rb:28:in `<main>'

Edited by xilopaint
  • 1 year later...

Hey, thanks for making this workflow! Seems really cool! (I say seems, because...)

The workflow is not returning any errors (in debugger), however it is also not returning any results. Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Appreciate your help in advance. Thank you!

Edited by ianbeerent

I haven’t used this workflow in a while. Last time it was updated was with an external contribution/fix. As I say in the top post, I can’t even use the API and this needs to use scraping.

Instead, I highly recommend Movie and TV Show Search, which works great.

Fixes to this workflow will continue to be accepted on Github, for those that for some reason prefer it over alternatives.

• 1 month later...