Search Omnifocus: free text search your Omnifocus data

@rhydFirst off thank you for building this and taking the time to reply. 

When I copy and paste that line into terminal, it doesn't return anything.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I use Omnisync, their server for synchronizing between devices if that matters.

If I go into Omnifocus, then the file dropdown menu and hold alt, it gives me the option to "Show "Omnifocus.ofocus" in Finder" - when I choose that option it takes me to /Users/rlow/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3/Data/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus

Edited by rlow
On 8/31/2020 at 4:16 PM, rlow said:

@rhydFirst off thank you for building this and taking the time to reply. 

When I copy and paste that line into terminal, it doesn't return anything.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I use Omnisync, their server for synchronizing between devices if that matters.

If I go into Omnifocus, then the file dropdown menu and hold alt, it gives me the option to "Show "Omnifocus.ofocus" in Finder" - when I choose that option it takes me to /Users/rlow/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3/Data/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus

No worries. Can you:

1) open the folder below in the Finder (open a Finder window, press ⌘-⇧-G and paste the location below into the "Go to the folder" dialog)

/Users/rlow/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3/Data/Library/Application Support/

2) open the OmniFocus Caches folder and check if you can see a file called OmniFocusDatabase?

@rhyd - There was no Caches folder in the path you pointed me to, but when I searched for OmniFocusDatabase I found OmniFocusDatabase.db at the following path:

/Users/rlow/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel

On 9/8/2020 at 4:51 PM, rlow said:

@rhyd - There was no Caches folder in the path you pointed me to, but when I searched for OmniFocusDatabase I found OmniFocusDatabase.db at the following path:

/Users/rlow/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel

Ok, spotted the problem. The workflow is using the wrong location to find the database because you're using an out of date version of the workflow. Can you download and install v2.1.2? I should've spotted that earlier 🤦‍♂️...

Download v2.1.2

Cheers,
Rhyd

• 3 months later...

Hello, I've just installed v2.1.2 for Omnifocus 3.4.6, but it seems it can't locate the db.

This is a part of the log

17:08:12 search.py:185 DEBUG    OmniFocus db not found at /Users/me/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel/OmniFocusDatabase.db; using /Users/me/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3.MacAppStore/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel/OmniFocusDatabase.db instead
17:08:12 search.py:195 DEBUG    /Users/me/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3.MacAppStore/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel/OmniFocusDatabase.db

Thank you very much

On 12/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, Manaus said:

Hello, I've just installed v2.1.2 for Omnifocus 3.4.6, but it seems it can't locate the db.

This is a part of the log

17:08:12 search.py:185 DEBUG    OmniFocus db not found at /Users/me/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel/OmniFocusDatabase.db; using /Users/me/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3.MacAppStore/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel/OmniFocusDatabase.db instead
17:08:12 search.py:195 DEBUG    /Users/me/Library/Group Containers/34YW5XSRB7.com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3.MacAppStore/com.omnigroup.OmniFocusModel/OmniFocusDatabase.db

Thank you very much

@Manaus Looks like Omnifocus 3.4.6 is almost a year old. If you upgrade to the latest version the problem above should be resolved. If you can't upgrade, then you could try installing v2.1.0 of the workflow to see if that solves the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is one of my most frequently used workflows, thanks a lot for creating and supporting it, it's been very stable over several years. The thing I miss the most is a possibility to search within completed tasks, any chance to add such a feature?

Edited by cands
14 hours ago, cands said:

This is one of my most frequently used workflows, thanks a lot for creating and supporting it, it's been very stable over several years. The thing I miss the most is a possibility to search within completed tasks, any chance to add such a feature?

Thanks for the feedback. Searching completed tasks should be ok. I'll have a look and add into a future release.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:59 PM, cands said:

@cands See v2.1.3

• 8 months later...

@DaniP Welcome to the forum :) 

It looks like the workflow you're using relies on Python. As of macOS 12.3, Apple have removed Python 2 from being a default installed language. As such, workflows that rely on it stop working once you update to 12.3.

Taking a quick look at the workflow GitHub, it looks like @rhyd is already working on an update to the workflow, which no longer relies on Python:

https://github.com/rhydlewis/search-omnifocus/issues/50

I'm sure @rhyd will share an update when they've got something ready for community members to use.

Alternatively, you can reinstall Python 2 by following these instructions:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/kb/python-2-monterey/

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your effort!

I have some problems with the process.

1. Need I to put install --global alfred-search-omnifocus on terminal?? Without npm?
 The result it this:

~ % install --global alfred-search-omnifocus

install: illegal option -- -

usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 file2

install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory

install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

Once Omnifocus option is disabled I do not understand what I need to do

2. Alfred command is in search bar? I do not know where my database is

Thanks,

Dani
1 hour ago, DaniP said:

Many thanks for your effort!

I have some problems with the process.

1. Need I to put install --global alfred-search-omnifocus on terminal?? Without npm?
 The result it this:

~ % install --global alfred-search-omnifocus

install: illegal option -- -

usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 file2

install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory

install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

Once Omnifocus option is disabled I do not understand what I need to do

2. Alfred command is in search bar? I do not know where my database is

Thanks,

Dani

• You need to run `npm install --global alfred-search-omnifocus` (you omitted the npm)
  • To run an Alfred command you, just need to open Alfred (for me that's ⌘-Space) and type in the commands from the instructions
  • 2 months later...

Hi @rhyd, I am so sorry to be a pain but I cannot get this to work... I am a complete novice with terminal etc but I've double checked and I have HomeBrew installed...

When I type .s I get the prompt search OmniFocus. Push enter, start typing but it then starts searcing the Web and not OmniFocus!!

Hi @mike007, sorry to hear you're having trouble running the workflow. Couple of questions:

1. are you running macOS Monterey?
  2. which workflow are you using? The python workflow or the Javascript workflow?

Can you:

• Show Alfred preferences (keyword 'alf')
  • Click 'Workflows' in the tool bar
  • Choose on the Search Omnifocus workflow from the list of workflows on the left
  • Click on the 'Debug' to toggle debugging mode (see Alfred's help page for more info)
  • Choose 'All information' from the Log dropdown
  • Open Alfred and type the query that's not working
  • Copy the debug output and post it as a response - I'll take a look.
9 hours ago, rhyd said:

Show Alfred preferences (keyword 'alf')

Quick note: the full keyword is alfred preferences (it’s alf for you because you must invoke it with some regularity). Alternatively, open Alfred’s search and press ⌘, (command and comma).

Thank you so much @rhyd

Yes I am usung Monterey.

The output is...

[22:19:19.329] Search OmniFocus[Script Filter] Queuing argument 's'
[22:19:19.340] Search OmniFocus[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[22:19:19.344] ERROR: Search OmniFocus[Script Filter] Code 127: /bin/bash: /usr/bin/python: No such file or directory

Thank you!