Need this super program on Windows

anjak

Welcome to the forums, @anjak,

Though I do not speak for the Alfred team, I’d say there’s a slim chance that is ever going to happen. Alfred’s team is small — two people1 — and only one of them codes. The other takes care of the (often more taxing) administrative work.

Alfred takes advantage of macOS’ native APIs and tools. Porting it to Windows would require a whole different app using learning a whole new world of tools and APIs. It’s unlikely it would be worth the overhead.

1. I think there’s a cat as well.

37 minutes ago, vitor said:

a whole different app

In addition to that, the whole workflow system is heavily based on the UNIX APIs and programs underpinning macOS.

So it wouldn't just be a whole different app: very few workflows would run on Windows.

You could get a few to run by installing the Windows Subsytem for Linux, but it'd be a wasteland.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest Apocalypse612

+100 for Windows support, please. I know it wouldn't be the SAME as the Mac version, but it certainly would be the best Windows has to offer.

Wox sucks. So bad. 

• 2 months later...

i'll have to add my voice to this one. there just isn't a program on Windows that comes close to what Alfred does, especially with the workflows feature. hopefully this is in the pipeline and with PowerShell being on Windows, perhaps Alfred can use it to implement its workflows feature on the there.

1 hour ago, cuckoo said:

i'll have to add my voice to this one. there just isn't a program on Windows that comes close to what Alfred does,

In no small part because Windows doesn’t offer the APIs that Alfred leans very heavily on.

Alfred is about as married to macOS as it’s possible to be. It’s written in a Mac-only language using Mac-only APIs.

I cannot imagine Andrew would consider completely rewriting Alfred for Windows, and if he did, it wouldn’t be at all the same application.

13 minutes ago, cuckoo said:

I hear you. At least we can register our interest for this awesome product on here because who knows what the future may hold? 

Either work on Alfred for Windows already started, or it hasn’t. If it has, registering support does nothing because it would happen anyway. If it hasn’t, even if work on it started today it would take so long (with the current team), that by the time it was done there would be no guarantee all the people asking for it today would still be interested.

Over years there’s only been a handful of people expressing interest in this, not nearly enough to justify the commitment to support a whole new platform. Alfred Remote for Android would make sense way before Alfred for Windows, and that is unlikely to happen as well (there’s another thread on it).

Yes, in theory it could happen. In practice, you shouldn’t get your hopes up in the slightest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the reason why is cross os workflow, which is more and more common.  many of us work on multiple os daily, and those of us that do, try our best to find equivalent tools for every platform to maximize productivity.  people love alfred so much they don't want to have to do without it on other platforms.  that's a very understandable sentiment.

it would be very plausible to build applications that are very similar in spirit and interface and share preference syncing but have different low level implementations.  obviously it would have to be separate codebases for macos/linux/windows but nothing that alfred does isn't accomplishable on each platform in its own way, the apps could be designed to functions similarly and have a similar familiar interface.  many applications do this, but that would require expanding the development and support teams and maintaining multiple codebases.  i get not wanting to expand like that, but have also seen what can happen when another company enters the marketplace with an equivalent product and does.  I'm hoping team alfred is the first across this line even if it means collaboration with other small like minded dev shops for the other os implementations.  maybe it is just a dream, but it is a nice dream.

Edited by redesigned

11 hours ago, redesigned said:

it would be very plausible to build applications that are very similar in spirit and interface and share preference syncing but have different low level implementations.  obviously it would have to be separate codebases for macos/linux/windows but nothing that alfred does isn't accomplishable on each platform in its own way, the apps could be designed to functions similarly and have a similar familiar interface.  many applications do this, but that would require expanding the development and support teams and maintaining multiple codebases.

While it may be not impossible, it would require to implement all the things provided by macOS like - all the low-level API for system commands, Spotlight search and indexing, previews and so on from scratch. All these things are basically granted in macOS.