Clipboard append with custom character

I absolutely love the Fast Append feature of Clipboard. But 9 times out of 10 I am replacing the space it separates items with, with a comma. I see there exists the option to switch from space to newline. Would it be possible to add comma to that list?

Talking about in Preferences | Features | Clipboard | Merging. So would love to see the choices:

Separate appended item with space

Separate appended item with comma  <-- NEW

Separate appended item with new line

Don't separate appended items

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add one more request here.  I like to have newlines between what I merge, but if there is already a newline at the end of what I copy, I would like to not end up with the extra blank line.  So, a "Separate appended item with new line if not present/not complete line" option is what I would like.

Thanks for considering.

• 9 months later...

My use case is I want to append English words I find on the Internet and their definitions to a .csv file.

In practice, it would mean:

- copying the word in the clipboard

- copying and merging it with its definition 

- append word and its definition to a .csv file

- import this file in quizlet (a flashcard application)

The problem I have is quizlet forces me to use commas as a delimiter so it recognize what is the word and what is the definition.

Plus, so many times words and definitions are made of more than one word.

So +1000 to @vitor answer.

On 8/22/2018 at 7:58 PM, vitor said:

Might make more sense to have:

Separate appended item with custom character
Separate appended item with new line
Don't separate appended items

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, rfischmann said:

I'd love to be able to set it to separate appended items with a paragraph (two line breaks, instead of just one). Please! 😊

@vitor Sorry for "calling" you here, but can this be achieved via a workflow or the only option is to wait for it to be implemented in Alfred itself? Cheers.

18 minutes ago, vitor said:

It can be done with a Workflow. And a terribly simple one, not sure why I didn’t mention it before.

Connect a Hotkey Trigger with Argument set to Selection in macOS to a Copy to Clipboard Output.

On the Copy to Clipboard Output, organise the text {clipboard:1} (i.e. your clipboard contents) with {query} (your current selection) however you’d like.

I've never built a Workflow before, @vitor. I tried following your instructions, but it's not working. I must be doing something wrong, hehe.

7 hours ago, vitor said:

This is as simple a Workflow as can be. Take a look at the getting started documentation and you should be able to do it in no time. It takes very little effort.

If you still need help, you’ll need to be specific about which steps are tripping you up.

This is the part that I have no idea how to organize, @vitorhttps://d.pr/i/MHV3sA

Cheers.

7 hours ago, rfischmann said:

This is the part that I have no idea how to organize

You organise it however you want it to look; it’s your preference. Add more line breaks, or commas, or whatever you wish to separate both parts.

6 minutes ago, vitor said:

You organise it however you want it to look; it’s your preference. Add more line breaks, or commas, or whatever you wish to separate both parts.

I've separated them with two line breaks, but it doesn't make any difference in Alfred's merged paste. I also can't define ⌘C as a Hotkey for that Workflow, shouldn't it be that?

1 hour ago, rfischmann said:

I also can't define ⌘C as a Hotkey for that Workflow, shouldn't it be that?

No. Alfred itself needs that shortcut to get the selection, so it makes sense you can’t override. Now I remember why I haven’t mentioned the Workflow originally—because it’s not exactly the same.

57 minutes ago, vitor said:

No. Alfred itself needs that shortcut to get the selection, so it makes sense you can’t override. Now I remember why I haven’t mentioned the Workflow originally—because it’s not exactly the same.

Hahahaha!

Then I'll keep hoping @Vero does implement this on a future update. 😊

• 1 month later...
  • vitor changed the title to Clipboard append with custom character

Noticed this post is a duplicate of another. Keeping this one as the main one, since it has a bigger conversation. Also changed the title to reflect the idea of using a custom character as a separator.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, rfischmann said:

but that requires a custom keyboard shortcut to paste.

It requires a custom shortcut to copy.

5 hours ago, rfischmann said:

It's not the same thing…

While that’s technically correct (the best kind), it’s not all that different. Make it ⇧⌘C or something close. Copying and merging is a non-standard feature anyway. Bumping the thread over and over won’t make the feature be added; Alfred’s (small) team has other difficult and important features to tackle, so when a Workflow can be so close to something only a single user is asking, it’s normal that the feature’s priority is low—I’d do the same.