Sync for clipboard

HRD

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

@HRD Syncing of Clipboard History as a whole won't happen for both security/privacy reasons and because of the sheer amount of data that would need to be synced. 

We recommend saving clips as snippets if you need them to be synced between your Macs. When the Clipboard History Viewer is showing, press Cmd + S to save a clip as a snippet quickly.

Cheers,
Vero

• 2 years later...
On 10/30/2017 at 6:38 AM, Vero said:

@HRD Syncing of Clipboard History as a whole won't happen for both security/privacy reasons and because of the sheer amount of data that would need to be synced. 

We recommend saving clips as snippets if you need them to be synced between your Macs. When the Clipboard History Viewer is showing, press Cmd + S to save a clip as a snippet quickly.

Cheers,
Vero

I too wish this existed in Alfred. I found an app called Copied that does sync the clipboard between Macs, iPhones and iPad. It works very well. Since they can do it, it seems it shouldn't be that hard for Alfred too figure it out.

53 minutes ago, sesweitzer said:

Since they can do it, it seems it shouldn't be that hard for Alfred too figure it out.

"Figure out" has nothing to do with it. It's a deliberate choice not to sync clipboard history. People put a lot of sensitive data on their clipboards that have no business being uploaded to the cloud.

I also use Copied, but I would never turn on sync because I do not want it uploading my clipboard.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 9:57 AM, deanishe said:

"Figure out" has nothing to do with it. It's a deliberate choice not to sync clipboard history. People put a lot of sensitive data on their clipboards that have no business being uploaded to the cloud.

I also use Copied, but I would never turn on sync because I do not want it uploading my clipboard.

I’m currently on the fence for this request. Syncing could be done via Zero Knowledge Encryption. So being sync’d wouldn’t really be a risk, if it was only unencrypted on the end devices. 

The amount of data would be the true limitation in my eyes. But still could be done relatively cheap I believe. 

5 hours ago, Terminal said:

The amount of data would be the true limitation in my eyes.

Apart from the amount of data, the clipboard history is currently stored in a SQLite database, which isn't compatible with syncing.

The whole thing would have to be re-written to be more amenable to file-based syncing, and the performance would almost certainly be worse because nothing is as awesome as SQLite.

So while it's certainly possible to sync the clipboard history securely (which I asked Copied's developer to implement about 5 years ago, though he never did), there is very significant effort, and probably performance penalties, associated with its implementation.

Edited by deanishe

• 4 weeks later...

I often work on two macs side by side. And often create text/image/etc on one i need on the other. Right now, i paste it into a note to sync it to the other machine. Having alfred being able to sync just the current clipboard contents (not history) would be great.

Edited by joost

On 2/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, joost said:

I often work on two macs side by side. And often create text/image/etc on one i need on the other. Right now, i paste it into a note to sync it to the other machine. Having alfred being able to sync just the current clipboard contents (not history) would be great.

If you only need to sync whatever you’re working on right now, macOS does it natively.