Snippets: search snippet content as well

vitor

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

When this was first highlighted a while back, I did some basic research around performance and noise, and found it made the clipboard viewer quite a bit less useful for getting to your clipboard history results as you regularly saw unwanted snippets placed above history items. This is essentially why I kept snippets to keyword and title (think of the title as a kind of metadata or tags field which is also searched), which keeps the history search much more useful.

While I'll unlikely change the clipboard viewer behaviour, I do have two new workflow objects planned - a Snippet Filter and Clipboard Filter, both of which will be decently configurable and will allow for both getting to snippets via their content, and also workflow based processing of these items.

Cheers,

Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I did some basic research around performance and noise, and found it made the clipboard viewer quite a bit less useful for getting to your clipboard history results as you regularly saw unwanted snippets placed above history items.

I don’t get the relationship. After I call a snippet I don’t see it in the clipboard history viewer. Also, the clipboard history viewer does search by content.

@vitor the clipboard history can ONLY search by content as you don't assign keywords or titles to items like you do with snippets.

When searching the clipboard history, snippets are shown before clipboard history items. When playing with this and making snippets match much wider, you got snippets almost always showing above clipboard history items when you didn't want them to be there.

• 7 months later...

Alfred 3.6 pre-release b895 has had a bit of an overhaul for the snippet matching. The snip keyword and clipboard history viewer snippet search now share the same search code so they are consistent.

I've also added some options in the Features > Snippets preferences to also match by snippet content.

Finally, you can now also turn off the word based matching for snippets so they are consistent with the non-anchored broad search of the clipboard history content.

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 year later...

disabling the word on search for files is better but still would want fuzzy search like fzf on snippets

For example if I have a snippet with 'intellij' and I look for 'intelij' it won't find that snippet, fuzzy search would really help.