pruppert

First party sync service

I’d like to stop using Dropbox since iCloud has replaced its function for me, but Alfred sync is on of the few things holding me back. I see it is not recommended to use iCloud Drive. Perhaps a new version of Alfred could have sync built in without any need for a third party like Dropbox or iCloud Drive? Thanks.

10 hours ago, dfay said:

Why not just keep using Dropbox at the free level? 

It’s an extra app and service you have to worry about on your system. And it’s one that can at times be really resource intensive and has privacy implications (I remember something about them possibly scanning all your hard drive).

12 hours ago, pruppert said:

Perhaps a new version of Alfred could have sync built in

That seems unlikely, and I doubt you (or anyone else) would actually want that. It’d not only increase the cost of Alfred as an app, it would likely need to move to a subscription service. Alfred Preferences, since they include Workflows, can easily go for over 100MB (don’t even want to image for people who install Node Workflows). That amount of storage for each user, plus the overhead of coding and maintaining the sync server and maintaining said server would quickly shift Alfred’s focus. And how would you prevent abuse (people storing too much)? Now you either have people unhappy because they can’t sync everything, or you need to introduce paid tiers. The whole thing would quickly devolve into a mess not worth it for a two-person (one coder) team, seeing as the vast majority of users are happy with things the way they are.

12 hours ago, pruppert said:

I see it is not recommended to use iCloud Drive.

It’s not recommended because iCloud Drive has been unreliable for people in the past, going so far as to make them lose their preferences. But you aren’t forbidden from using it; you just need to be wary that if something goes wrong, you have been warned. If you’re using iCloud Drive as your primary source for everything else, you should be fine. Just remember to turn off the feature that deletes unused files from your machine (System Preferences → iCloud → iCloud Drive (Options…) → [unckeck] Optimize Mac Storage).

@vitor, you have correctly summarized my reasons for wanting to move away from Dropbox. Your points on first party sync are also well made.

So is it your understanding that the iCloud issues were exclusively related to the Optimize Mac Storage settings? If that's the case, I'll probably go with iCloud since I have that setting disabled anyway.

5 minutes ago, pruppert said:

So is it your understanding that the iCloud issues were exclusively related to the Optimize Mac Storage settings?

Likely not exclusively. iCloud Drive was notoriously unreliable when it debuted. That said, I haven’t heard of any major issues for a good while. If that’s because it has improved or because most people stopped using it, I can’t say. Probably a bit of both.

In your shoes, I’d go for it but remember to backup everything once in a while.

That said, I do use iCloud Drive a lot with iA Writer, and haven’t had any trouble I recall (or that I noticed!).