Folder/File search doesn't work in MacOS Catalina (10.15)

Nicco

Hi, first time to post topic here..

My issue is: after updating to macOS Catalina, the folder/file search feature of alfred (4.0.3) suddenly break down (while searching for apps still works well). Strange things are, while I can't use alfred to search my own files, which are stored in iCloud Drive, it still works well when searching system files.

Is there anyone who has the same problem? Could someone help me with this? Thanks!!!

14 hours ago, vitor said:

Under System Preferences → iCloud → [iCloud Drive] Options… → Documents, is Optimize Mac Storage enabled? If it is, try disabling it and waiting a bit. Does that work?

\Cry, unfortunately it still doesn't work. Maybe I need to wait for another release of Catalina. Thank you very much anyway~

@Nicco Catalina still has some indexing and permissions issues, and we're keeping a close eye on improvements during the betas.

You can try dragging your whole drive (or an enclosing folder of the files you're searching for) to Spotlight's Privacy tab, wait 30 seconds, drag it out, wait a few minutes while macOS reindexes the drive. Search again in Alfred and see how you get on.

Cheers,
Vero

3 hours ago, Vero said:

@Nicco Catalina still has some indexing and permissions issues, and we're keeping a close eye on improvements during the betas.

You can try dragging your whole drive (or an enclosing folder of the files you're searching for) to Spotlight's Privacy tab, wait 30 seconds, drag it out, wait a few minutes while macOS reindexes the drive. Search again in Alfred and see how you get on.

Cheers,
Vero

Thank you, but does not😭. I think maybe it is because I put these folders in icloud drive, since search for downloads folders(which I put on computer) is alright.

16 hours ago, Vero said:

Cheers,
Vero

!! It suddenly work today, when I get up!!! Though still a little bit strange, but no big problem!!!! thank you!!!!!

On 7/29/2019 at 9:58 AM, Vero said:

Cheers,
Vero

curious: Does this do anything different from pressing "Rebuild macOD Metadata" under advanced prefs? 

image.png

@smagdali Practically, yes, it achieves the same thing but this is the Apple black box so there may be subtle differences.

Using the Rebuild macOS Metadata button works for the vast majority of users, and uses the command line to rebuild. However, for the occasional user where this doesn't seem to work as expected, dragging folders in and out of the Privacy tab seems to help.

It's worth noting that there are known indexing issues in Catalina, as well as issues with iCloud files disappearing, both of which are accepted bugs by Apple and will hopefully be fixed in the next beta.

Cheers,
Vero

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having this problem with Beta 6 of Catalina. 

I tried all the solutions presented here with no result. 

I drag the folders in iCloud Drive to the settings in Mac and it finds those folders but the folder bellow or their files are not seen. 

Any ideias?

Thanks, 

The same issue.

macOS Catalina Version: 10.15 Beta (19A536g) beta 7

Alfred Version: 4.0.4 pre-release.

I have tried `rebuild` button in `Advanced` tab and add/remove the iCloud folder in `Privacy` list in spotlight preference. Both failed to fix the issue.

I'm seeing improved search behaviour in Catalina Beta 7.

Ensure that you have ~/Library/CloudStorage/iCloudDrive added to your default search scope in Alfred (this will be added in the default scopes in a future release).

I suspect there are still some more improvements to come from Apple in the beta.

Cheers,

Andrew