Notion.so Instant Search Workflow

20 hours ago, Yourname said:

Thanks @wrjlewis!

I upgraded and now it's openssl 1.1.1g 21 apr 2020

And here's the new log of errors;

[18:30:47.655] Notion Search[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'task'
[18:30:47.867] Notion Search[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[18:30:47.872] ERROR: Notion Search[Script Filter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "notion.py", line 114, in <module>
    buildNotionSearchQueryData(alfredQuery), headers)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1053, in request
    self._send_request(method, url, body, headers)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1093, in _send_request
    self.endheaders(body)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1049, in endheaders
    self._send_output(message_body)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 893, in _send_output
    self.send(msg)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 855, in send
    self.connect()
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1274, in connect
    server_hostname=server_hostname)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 352, in wrap_socket
    _context=self)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 579, in __init__
    self.do_handshake()
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 808, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:590)

Ok that's interesting. 

Did a bit of research, can you please try this 

sudo -H pip3.5 install requests[security]

On 5/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, Yourname said:

sudo: pip3.5: command not found

@wrjlewis

After looking around a little @wrjlewis, I was able to install pip and noticed I have pip3.6 and 3.7, so ran your command with both versions. It seems to have installed things on both versions and exited successfully. 

Yet, I have the same error I pasted earlier.

13 hours ago, Yourname said:

After looking around a little @wrjlewis, I was able to install pip and noticed I have pip3.6 and 3.7, so ran your command with both versions. It seems to have installed things on both versions and exited successfully. 

Yet, I have the same error I pasted earlier.

Hmmm. I'm stumped as to why this may be happening still. My knowledge of SSL/TLS doesn't extend this far and without being able to replicate this locally I'm struggling to offer further advice. 

The stack overflow link I thought was relevant is here. Plenty of possible solutions there, though as I said, without being able to replicate myself I can't tell which solution might help. 

I would recommend posting this issue on the github repo, perhaps someone else there can provide some further insight. 

8 hours ago, wrjlewis said:

Hmmm. I'm stumped as to why this may be happening still. My knowledge of SSL/TLS doesn't extend this far and without being able to replicate this locally I'm struggling to offer further advice. 

The stack overflow link I thought was relevant is here. Plenty of possible solutions there, though as I said, without being able to replicate myself I can't tell which solution might help. 

I would recommend posting this issue on the github repo, perhaps someone else there can provide some further insight. 

Tried everything from there. The error in alfred though seems to reference python 2.7 even though BASH has 3.7 showing. Which is peculiar. 

But I give up. Notion is coming up with an API soon, so hopefully then it will work :)

Thanks so much for assistng @wrjlewis!

49 minutes ago, Yourname said:

Tried everything from there. The error in alfred though seems to reference python 2.7 even though BASH has 3.7 showing. Which is peculiar. 

But I give up. Notion is coming up with an API soon, so hopefully then it will work :)

Thanks so much for assistng @wrjlewis!

Oh good spot with the python versions being different, I think that is because of the way python is being called through this workflow. I may be able to change that so that it calls python3 if you have it installed rather than defaulting to 2. To check if that’s the issue, do you mind trying the following before you give up entirely! 

‘The simplest way would be to add an alias to python3 to always point to the native python installed. Add this line to the .bash_profile file in your $HOME directory at the end.

alias python="python3"

Doing so makes the changes to be reflected on every interactive shell opened.’

1 hour ago, wrjlewis said:

The simplest way would be to add an alias to python3 to always point to the native python installed

That’s not a great idea, and it won’t work. Generally, it’s expected that python is Python 2 and python3 is Python 3. The two are not particularly compatible, so renaming one to the other can cause issues.

It won’t work because Alfred doesn’t use your shell environment because it isn’t started from your shell. Same goes for all Mac apps. If you call python in Alfred, you will get /usr/bin/python, which is Python 2.7.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, wrjlewis said:

sudo -H pip3.5 install requests[security]

Also won’t work unless you’ve installed Python 3.5 via Homebrew. Which, as noted above, won’t be called by the workflow. You also shouldn’t be using sudo with Homebrew.

10 hours ago, wrjlewis said:

Users with that problem need to install a newer version of Python via Homebrew and change the Script Filter from python notion.py "{query}" to /usr/local/bin/python notion.py "{query}".

Installing Python 3 and using /usr/local/bin/python3 might be a better idea, as your script looks like it will choke on non-ASCII input under Python 2.

You should also change the Script Filter to use "with input as argv". "with input as {query}" is tricky to get right, and your escaping options are wrong.

Thanks @deanishe, makes sense re/ python and python3 usage in Alfred versus shell.

Still seems to be a mystery why the error is being generated here, yet not for others. Which given what you said, means it’s not a python version issue, at least between 2 and 3, since we’re all using the same python notion.py command.

1 minute ago, wrjlewis said:

Still seems to be a mystery why the error is being generated here, yet not for others

It depends on your macOS version. Apple let macOS’s version of openssl get really out-of-date, and on Sierra and earlier, anything that uses it (like Python) can’t connect to websites with more “modern” SSL configurations.

11 hours ago, deanishe said:

It depends on your macOS version. Apple let macOS’s version of openssl get really out-of-date, and on Sierra and earlier, anything that uses it (like Python) can’t connect to websites with more “modern” SSL configurations.

I'm on macOS Catalina, which ships with 

OpenSSH_7.9p1, LibreSSL 2.7.3

Could it be @Yourname that you are on an older version of macOS?

Hi @wrjlewis and @deanishe, sorry just saw this! I haven't made an alias of python because I saw somewhere a few days ago pretty much what @deanishe said (in much more complicated terms haha)

I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 and this is my current PATH:

MacBook-Pro-5:~ xyz$ echo $PATH

/usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin:/usr/local/opt/openssl/bin:/usr/local/opt/python/libexec/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/heroku:/usr/local/heroku/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

2 minutes ago, Yourname said:

I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 and this is my current PATH

Your shell’s PATH doesn’t matter because Alfred doesn’t use it. Mac applications aren't launched from your shell.

You need to find a version of Python that is linked with a recent version of OpenSSL (or LibreSSL), and edit the workflow to use that instead.

So, @deanishe and @wrjlewis, looks like @deanishe's suggestion moved us into a new (and shorter) error. 

I updated the command to:

/usr/local/bin/python3.7 notion.py "{query}"

I even tried /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin/python3 notion.py "{query}"

[16:47:43.582] Logging Started...
[16:47:45.922] Notion Search[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'y'
[16:47:46.038] Notion Search[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[16:47:46.043] ERROR: Notion Search[Script Filter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "notion.py", line 3, in <module>
    import httplib, urllib
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'httplib'

On 5/29/2020 at 9:07 PM, deanishe said:

httplib is Python 2. It has been renamed in Python 3. Try /usr/local/binpythonor/usr/local/bin/python2` instead.

Couldn't find 2 in /local/bin, so ended up trying /usr/bin/python2.7 (the nearest one to what you asked, and I had available) and it worked!!!!!! Thanks soooooo much @deanishe!!!!

Thank you so much for writing this and helping me figure out @wrjlewis!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, @wrjlewis this rules! Thank you for the workflow, I wish I would have paid attention sooner!

I have one question- and let me know if I should open an issue on GitHub for this if it makes sense- I use a lot of custom icons for my pages, and thus- I see a lot of lengthy image URLs in my results (finding the correct results - it just doesn't look "pretty"). Is there some way of handling non-native emojis?

rYBRJZC.png

17 minutes ago, joeynotjoe said:

Wow, @wrjlewis this rules! Thank you for the workflow, I wish I would have paid attention sooner!

I have one question- and let me know if I should open an issue on GitHub for this if it makes sense- I use a lot of custom icons for my pages, and thus- I see a lot of lengthy image URLs in my results (finding the correct results - it just doesn't look "pretty"). Is there some way of handling non-native emojis?

rYBRJZC.png

Hey 

Glad you like it! 

If you could raise an issue that would be a great way to track this. When I get time I can take a proper look.

At first glance I'm inclined to say that Notion will not be able to display a non-native emoji, it looks like they are stored as jpgs within notion which I think can not be displayed in an Alfred search result. But I could be totally wrong - will need to check. At the very least I could remove the 'ugly' URL so the results look cleaner when searching. 

Thanks!

Awesome, will do! Appreciate the speedy reply :)

I can't think of any way to display the custom icon URL either, unless it was somehow able to take over for the default Notion icon? 🤔

Either way, I'll open an issue, and if you ever have the time to check it out, that'd be awesome- but as it stands, it's still immensely useful. Take care!