[5.5 Beta] Grid View and Text View Feature Requests

OMG I'm in love with Alfred all over again! 😍 (not that it ever faded)

The grid view is amazing!! Thanks a ton!

Misc feedback/feature requests:

1. "Alfred Filters Results" option in the grid view. My emoji workflow uses a static JSON file and relies on Alfred to filter and prioritize the results. That means even without typing out any search query, the most frequently used emojis rise to the top. The grid view seems like a perfect fit for an emoji workflow. However, at present, lack of integration of Alfred's knowledge makes it not as good a choice as the script filter.
  2. Dragging files out of the grid view: In the normal view, for file results, I can drag them out. This was especially useful when uploading files to webpages.
    1. Webpage opens a finder window to upload a file.
    2. I search for the file I want in Alfred.
    3. I drag that file from Alfred results and drop it onto that finder window. (this step works for traditional results, but not for results in the grid view)
    4. The finder window now has that file selected.
    5. I click "open" on finder window, and the file is uploaded to the webpage.
  3. GIF support in the grid view: The grid view shows only the first frame of the GIF instead of showing an animated version of it. Wouldn't it make a lovely "GIF Search" workflow if it did!? 😇
  4. Size of the grid and text views: Since these two are brand-new paradigms, and unlock complete new ways of interacting with Alfred, would it make sense to theme them independently? Specifically, the dimensions. For example, it may not make sense for me to have super-wide Alfred in normal mode, yet could be desirable to have a grid view that almost fills the entire width of the screen.
  5. Syntax highlighting for code-blocks in markdown for text view: one thing I find myself frequently doing is:
    1. Copy JSON/XML returned by some API.
      1. This usually is a large single line, making it difficult to read.
    2. Pretty-print it, produce HTML with syntax highlight.
    3. Look at the HTML using quicklook (from Alfred)
      1. The syntax highlighting helps a lot with XML, which, the text-view doesn't support.
  6. Web View? Being able to render arbitrary HTML would be super cool and so powerful! (Agree this could open a can of worms not worth tackling)

46 minutes ago, Mr Pennyworth said:

Dragging files out of the grid view

That works now. Set the type key in the JSON to file. Or try it just by sending a list of files to the Grid View with Object Input as the Source.

1 hour ago, Mr Pennyworth said:

Size of the grid and text views

Try ⌘0. That shift in size is remembered per object, which means that you can have them bigger or smaller depending on context and also adapt on demand.

Thanks @vitor!

Try ⌘0. That shift in size is remembered per object, which means that you can have them bigger or smaller depending on context and also adapt on demand.

This seems to change the height of the grid view. Specifically, it looks like it toggles between two options. Is that right?

The clarification helps, @vitor!

The sizing feature request is mostly for width though 😇

In Alfred's Results View, increasing width beyond a point actually decreases usability for me (as the titles are subtitles are left-aligned, and the ⌘-<number> selectors are right aligned, leaving a large, unused space between them). Maybe usability isn't the right word, let's just say "looks" 😅

However, for both the text view, and the grid view, an argument can be made in favor of them being much wider than the normal results-view.