Send URL

I have finally converted my Send URL extension into a workflow.

Send-URL-Screenshot.png

The workflow selects the URL from the frontmost App or a URL from the Clipboard. Supported Apps are:

• Safari
  • Webkit
  • Google Chrome (Beta/Dev/Canary)
  • Camino
  • Opera (and Opera Next)
  • Omniweb

You can then send the URL to a variety of Apps

• Safari
  • Webkit
  • Google Chrome (Beta/Dev/Canary)
  • Camino
  • Opera (and Opera Next)
  • Omniweb
  • Firefox (and Aurora)
  • iCab
  • Sleipnir
  • Paparazzi!
  • Mail
  • Sparrow
  • Postbox
  • Gmail
  • VLC
  • Adium (as a chat to an online contact)
  • Droplr
  • downforeveryoneorjustme.com
  • and the clipboard

The workflow only list the Apps installed on you mac.

You can download Send URL here:

https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/raw/master/AlfredApp_2.x/Send-URL/Send-URL.alfredworkflow

EDIT:

I have updated Send URL.  

The update fixes a bug where the workflow would not work if the URL contains a '&' and downforeveryoneorjustme.com is not working correctly.

I have also included options to copy the URL as a HTML or Markdown link (including the page title)

How hard would it be to add the option of grabbing the title of the current page and then returning a Markdown formatted link?

That is definitely possible to add, but maybe it would work better in another workflow, one returning the link in different formats? I will look at it tomorrow...

Just to ensure I'm using it correctly, when I have a page open in Chrome, I open Alfred & type URL which should then look as your screenshot does?

When I open Alfred and type URL, the URL is not listed as in your screenshot. Also, the workflow automatically launches Safari which is not running. The URL is not copied no matter what option is chosen. Ideas?

Also, If I choose send to Safari, it jumps to the workflow folder in Finder. Send to Chrome opens an index of the workflow folder.

2013-02-06_10-21-08.png

Just to ensure I'm using it correctly, when I have a page open in Chrome, I open Alfred & type URL which should then look as your screenshot does?

When I open Alfred and type URL, the URL is not listed as in your screenshot. Also, the workflow automatically launches Safari which is not running. The URL is not copied no matter what option is chosen. Ideas?

Also, If I choose send to Safari, it jumps to the workflow folder in Finder. Send to Chrome opens an index of the workflow folder.

2013-02-06_10-21-08.png

This sound very weird... 

Make sure Chrome (or another supported browser) is the from most application. Then open Alfred and type "url" you should then get a list of options (like in the screenshot).

If this does not work, try to remove the workflow and download and install it again.

This sound very weird... 

Make sure Chrome (or another supported browser) is the from most application. Then open Alfred and type "url" you should then get a list of options (like in the screenshot).

If this does not work, try to remove the workflow and download and install it again.

Deleting and reinstalling seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks.

Glad you ended up converting it to a workflow, since this was one of my most used v1.0 extensions!

My only issue is that this version is quite a bit slower than the Alfred 1.0 Extension, mainly since it needs to "Find supported applications" before you can hit enter. For instance, if I'm in Chrome and I start Alfred and type "url saf" to send it to Safari, I need to wait a second or two in order for the script to filter the list. 

Any chance you could add another keyword input as an option so we don't have to wait for the "Script Filter"?

Dave

Glad you ended up converting it to a workflow, since this was one of my most used v1.0 extensions!

My only issue is that this version is quite a bit slower than the Alfred 1.0 Extension, mainly since it needs to "Find supported applications" before you can hit enter. For instance, if I'm in Chrome and I start Alfred and type "url saf" to send it to Safari, I need to wait a second or two in order for the script to filter the list. 

Any chance you could add another keyword input as an option so we don't have to wait for the "Script Filter"?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm still working on making this workflow faster... The slowdown is due to the applescript fetching the URL (though I wrote 'Finding Supported Applications...').

I like being able to see the URL the workflow will act on, but at the same time it's slowing the workflow down... I might end up not displaying the URL if I can't find a way to fetch it faster

That said I have just updated the workflow and it should be a bit faster than before, but i'm still looking into what I can do to make it load instantly.

You can grab it here:

https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/raw/master/AlfredApp_2.x/Send-URL/Send-URL.alfredworkflow

If you want to make a hotkey to send the URL to a specific browser you just need to pass the name of the browser on to the 'Run Script' module as showed in the pictures below below. (This only work in the newest version of the workflow)

http://d.pr/i/EHTU

http://d.pr/i/e2Jt

Cheers

Neat-o! Thanks so much, this is great work. For some reason, though, Droplr isn't showing up for me. I'm not sure how to debug it, lost as I am when it comes to shell scripting; is it possible that the app-store version has a different bundle ID than the version on their website?

Send URL are not looking after the bundle ID's but rather depends on Alfreds file cache as this is much faster. Alfreds application cache is however not complete (and is not intended to be) but dynamically generated when Alfred needs it.

Therefore try search for Droplr in Alfred and then try Send URL again, this should solve the issue and Droplr should keep showing up until you clear the application cache.

I'm working on a better solution, but at the same time I really don't wont to make the workflow any slower...

Thank you for sharing this workflow, it is my favorite!

But can you use unique uids for the items? So Alfred would put the most recently used item at the top of the list.

I have chosen to make the list static in order to keep the URL (copy URL) on top in order to confirm/show the URL the workflow will use.

I have updated the workflow ( again  :)  ) now it has it's own application cache. This way all apps should be found and it's also a little faster.

The first time the workflow loads it takes a few second to create the application cache, but after that it should be a bit faster!

You can grab it here : https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/raw/master/AlfredApp_2.x/Send-URL/Send-URL.alfredworkflow (or any if the previous links)

Cheers

@Jonas

I don’t know if it can be useful for you but here is a code to get Firefox URL:

Source:

Great find. I have seen something similar before. The issue with this method is that that there is a delay between navigating to a URL in Firefox and to the URL gets written to sessionstore.js. Therefore this is not working as expected all the time.

I would really like to add firefox to the workflow but I have not seen any reliable method for fetching the URL.

I have updated the workflow ( again  :)  ) now it has it's own application cache. This way all apps should be found and it's also a little faster.

The first time the workflow loads it takes a few second to create the application cache, but after that it should be a bit faster!

You can grab it here : https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/raw/master/AlfredApp_2.x/Send-URL/Send-URL.alfredworkflow (or any if the previous links)

Cheers

That's great! Thanks so much; it works beautifully.

Why is Mail not showing in the list of apps that I can send the URL to? I've searched for Mail (to refresh Alfred's cache), etc.

Hi, I have fixed this little bug now, it was due to a misspelling of the bundle id for Mail. To update the application cache you need to action a URL (copy it or something) using Send URL, then Mail should show up next time you use Send URL.

Excellent workflow! A quick question though:

On the previous (v2) version I was able to add a custom application by appending a line in the supported applications file and a custom command in the actionurl.sh, but that doesn't seem to be working any more. 

Could you maybe let me know what else I need to change? Thanks! 

Excellent workflow! A quick question though:

On the previous (v2) version I was able to add a custom application by appending a line in the supported applications file and a custom command in the actionurl.sh, but that doesn't seem to be working any more. 

Could you maybe let me know what else I need to change? Thanks! 

If you have downloaded the newest version it should be possible to add a apps bundle id in the "supportedApplications.txt" file and the workflow should find it. 

It won't show up before you have used Send URL to action a URL one time after adding the application, and the workflow will only try to open the URL using the "open" command (in bash) so not all application will work (in this case the URL will be opened in the default browser).

If you have downloaded the newest version it should be possible to add a apps bundle id in the "supportedApplications.txt" file and the workflow should find it. 

It won't show up before you have used Send URL to action a URL one time after adding the application, and the workflow will only try to open the URL using the "open" command (in bash) so not all application will work (in this case the URL will be opened in the default browser).

Thanks it worked after actioning a url. I should probably have read your post just above mine, sorry...

Hi, I have fixed this little bug now, it was due to a misspelling of the bundle id for Mail. To update the application cache you need to action a URL (copy it or something) using Send URL, then Mail should show up next time you use Send URL.

That got it. Thanks! Great workflow!