Agenda - Reminders and Calendar Events workflow

This is a complete re-write and merging of my Reminders and Calendar Events. I realised having used it for a while that it was madness having two workflows for what solving essentially the same problem "What do I need to do today?". Also, I've learnt a lot about workflow development in the past few weeks and some of the code was pretty hacky when Alfred has features to solve some of the problems I was trying to get around. This is Agenda.

Download Agenda - Reminders and Calendar Events workflow

Note: On first run you will need to open system preferences > security and privacy to allow apps from an unknown developer and also allow access to reminders and calendars.

screenshot.png.997db04a8769ce77778d8250f587f9d2.png

Today Overview and Upcoming

Shows all events and reminders for today or the next X days (5 days default, change in settings) respectively. From here you can:

• Mark reminder as complete
  • View reminder in Reminders (cmd and select)
  • View event in Calendar or Fantastical
  • Open an overview in your browser - this doesn't automatically update but is nice if you have a lot on in one day and want to view it in a different format

Calendars and reminder lists

• View upcoming events and reminders by list by navigating to Calendars/Reminders Lists, then choosing a calendar/list
  • View any time reminders for a list

Create events

• Create events for your default list, or for a specific list
  • Use Sherlock to parse input and create an event including locations OR
  • Open input in Fantastical to create there instead

Create Reminders

• Create events for your default list, or for a specific list
  • Use Chrono to parse input and create a reminder OR
  • Open input in Fantastical to create there instead

Settings

You can customise a lot of the feature set of Agenda in the workflow variables. I have included the ability to edit these directly in the workflow:

• Enable/Disable reminders and/or calendars
  • Set default reminders list and calendar for creation
  • Turn on Fantastical for viewing events and creating events and reminders
  • Disable the overview option showing up in the upcoming list if you don't want this feature
  • If you do use the overview option, you can choose light or dark theme. The overview uses Sakura
  • Set how many days to show into the future in upcoming views

screenshot3.png.2fe4184552a50936ce009e7078864e25.png

My helper CLI has also been updated while doing this to allow more customisation like how many days in the future to show events in the "Upcoming" view.

With the release of this I won't be updating my previous standalone reminders and events workflows. I have updated the readme on Github to reflect this. They will continue to work for a long time unless something major changes with the reminders or calendar APIs.

screenshot2.png

Agenda works well for me with respect to reminders. However, I am unable to access my calendar using it. Alfred4 does not appear under Calendars in Privacy and I don't know how to add it. It looks like Agenda should have prompted for that when I first ran it. I did get the standard failure when I first ran Agenda, and I authorized it and now I can access Agenda with the Alfred keyword 'ag'.

However, agenda only works for Reminders (and works very well!). If I try to create new event, it tries to create a reminder in the list "Home" which is the name of my default calendar (which I set in the setup of Agenda). 

If I run agenda and select "Calendars", the Alfred command line clears, and "Show Calendars" briefly appears as a choice, then disappears and nothing happens. I can type stuff in the Alfred prompt, but return does nothing and I must use ESC to exit Alfred.

I suspect the workflow doesn't have access to Calendars (Alfred doesn't). How do I fix this? I did try deleting and reinstalling, but no change.

Thanks for the workflow.

- similar tbrown, workflow can access reminder but not calendar. Calendars in Privacy doesn't show Alfred app to enable access. No issue with Reminders

- how to mark a reminder as done?

- is there a way to change message displayed when nothing upcoming?

Thanks

Edited by iApple
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I struggled with this too but creating a new event in this way works for me. I quoted the text string and the date time unquoted.

"testing 2 months away"  March 12th  12pm

or adding location too:

"testing 2 months away"  March 12th  12pm @ Starbucks, Seal Beach Blvd, Los Cerritos, CA

8 hours ago, eh5 said:

Hi.

I struggled with this too but creating a new event in this way works for me. I quoted the text string and the date time unquoted.

"testing 2 months away"  March 12th  12pm

or adding location too:

"testing 2 months away"  March 12th  12pm @ Starbucks, Seal Beach Blvd, Los Cerritos, CA

Hi! 

That's awesome! That's so much(:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:43 PM, rknightuk said:

I apologise, I've been really busy and totally forgot about the responses here with the calendar issues. As @tbrownsaid the issues with permissions is now fixed and should working properly again.

When i first run, permission not appear in Security & Privacy (General) so i can't run :(

Thank you for this workflow, this is a real life save. One small question, maybe I overlooked it and if so, my apologies, but is there a way to create a reminder for a different list? I have next to de default "Reminders", also a list for both of my clients/projects. And I want to create reminders for these clients/projects, next to the default one.

Thanks in advance.

May the force be with you.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the workflow @rknightuk

It's great, but I'm having 2 minor issues on my end:

-I can't figure out how to add an all-day event. I checked Sherlock's readme on GitHub and it seems that it should recognize an all-day event when time is not included, but when I write "event tomorrow" it creates the event for tomorrow from 00:00 to 01:00. I also tried to use "allday", "all-day" and "all day" in the sentence, but the result remains the same;

-You say that it is possible to add the new event to the default calendar or to a specific list. Again, I'm not sure how this works because whatever I tried ended with me adding the new event to default calendar

If you or another user can give me a tip about how to do these two things, it would me great.

Thank you

Thanks for sharing this workflow! Quick question, how do I create a calendar event on a specific calendar? Or can I only create a new calendar event on the default list set? Same question for the reminders. Can I create a new reminder on a specific list beside the default one I set? 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone of you have a problem with reminders not displaying i.e. when I add a reminder via the agenda it appears in the list and looks exactly the same as a task added in the native app but at the specified time no window appears and no sound is played on any of mine devices

this workflow is great and for the calendar it works perfectly, but the reminders that do not remind are a bit disappointing :)

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 8:13 PM, rknightuk said:

I apologise, I've been really busy and totally forgot about the responses here with the calendar issues. As @tbrownsaid the issues with permissions is now fixed and should working properly again.

This is a great workflow for upcoming events. Many thanks. Is it possible to use this workflow to all search past events or show all past events on specific date. One more option for "Past events" similar to "Upcoming" would be great to go back in history. @rknightuk would be great if you can consider this.

I use another workflow (com.alfredapp.Vero.calendarsearch) for calendar search but it works by subject and not by date.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 9:25 PM, pankajsz said:

This is a great workflow for upcoming events. Many thanks. Is it possible to use this workflow to all search past events or show all past events on specific date. One more option for "Past events" similar to "Upcoming" would be great to go back in history. @rknightuk would be great if you can consider this.

I use another workflow (com.alfredapp.Vero.calendarsearch) for calendar search but it works by subject and not by date.

@rknightuk request you to consider this request.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:43 PM, Nester said:

this workflow is great and for the calendar it works perfectly, but the reminders that do not remind are a bit disappointing :)

Have you resolved it? I also don't get reminder -- is it to do with some reminder app setting? 

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, pankajsz said:

Have you resolved it? I also don't get reminder -- is it to do with some reminder app setting? 

My guess is, the Agenda workflow sets the wrong type of date for the reminders it creates. Even though invisible in the GUI, Reminders.app actually differentiates between a "remind me date", which is what is set when you manually create a reminder, and a "due date", which is likely what the Agenda workflow sets. Only the "remind me date" generates a notification when it is due.

I had exactly the same issue ages ago with a different Alfred workflow. Since that workflow was AppleScript-based, I was able to fix the issue myself

(see here). The Agenda workflow seems to use an executable binary to create the actual reminders, though, so it would be much harder to fix this issue without @rknightuk's help.

• 2 months later...