Menu Search

What a great improvement compared to older versions  :)

I know this is not the goal of this workflow, but is there a way to display the associated keyboard shortcut to the menu entry?

For example in Alfred Preferences: "Select All" -> "Cmd-A".

The latest version will display keyboard shortcuts. This is _not reliable_ due to the way keyboard shortcuts are handled by some apps. It's why I didn't display them for the longest time. So take them with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use menu search all the time in Apple mail to move email to local email boxes. Since yesterday it's acting up. But only in Apple Mail.

I want to reset or remove the cache to see if that helps. Where can I find this cache on the filesystem? Any help is appreciated!

I use menu search all the time in Apple mail to move email to local email boxes. Since yesterday it's acting up. But only in Apple Mail.

I want to reset or remove the cache to see if that helps. Where can I find this cache on the filesystem? Any help is appreciated!

Only the very first version of the workflow used a cache. If you're still using the initial version you should get the later one off of Packal. If you're already using the latest version then you can go into the workflow directory and run './menudump --yaml -- pid <n>' from the command-line to see what the script thinks the menu structure is for a given app. You get the pid number from the ps command, e.g., 'ps -ef'.

Only the very first version of the workflow used a cache. If you're still using the initial version you should get the later one off of Packal. If you're already using the latest version then you can go into the workflow directory and run './menudump --yaml -- pid <n>' from the command-line to see what the script thinks the menu structure is for a given app. You get the pid number from the ps command, e.g., 'ps -ef'.

Thanks. Now I understand why I couldn't find anything related to caching in the code :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, This is the awesome workflow which is most lovable feature in Ubuntu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WW-DHqR3c and missed it so badly in Mavericks and you made my day.

The only problem which I have now is it does not show the menus for the chrome browser ? what should be done in order to fix that ? 

I have installed the latest version from packal

I'm guessing it's the difference between OS/X menu handling and Unity (or whatever Ubuntu is using in that video). Many apps in OS/X do funky things with the menus and entries don't get updated or registered with OS/X. For example, an undo command may say 'Undo <action>', but OS/X has it listed as just plain 'Undo'.

That said, Chrome menu entries show up just fine on my system.

I'm guessing it's the difference between OS/X menu handling and Unity (or whatever Ubuntu is using in that video). Many apps in OS/X do funky things with the menus and entries don't get updated or registered with OS/X. For example, an undo command may say 'Undo <action>', but OS/X has it listed as just plain 'Undo'.

But it did not work for me , do I need to reinstall the alfred plugin, check the attachmentBX9r5cT.png

This is content of the menu dump file and I am using Mavericks os. 

/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.7ACA3ED0-0BB3-4F53-BD3E-74DA8D92977F/menudump ; exit;

The menu structure wasn't readable. Make sure that 'Enable access for assistive devices' is checked in OS/X Settings.logout

This is content of the menu dump file and I am using Mavericks os. 

/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.7ACA3ED0-0BB3-4F53-BD3E-74DA8D92977F/menudump ; exit;

The menu structure wasn't readable. Make sure that 'Enable access for assistive devices' is checked in OS/X Settings.logout

Ok. :-)

Do you have Accessibility turned on for Alfred? The scripts run as Alfred. 

Ok. :-)

Do you have Accessibility turned on for Alfred? The scripts run as Alfred. 

yup, as you see in this image , menu search works for all the application except chrome :(, I have even tried to reinstall the workflow and my chrome version is "Version 38.0.2125.111" Do i need to enable permission else where, Sorry for my ignorance, I am pretty new to this mac world. Thanks for a such a wonderful workflow.

TLoz5Xd.png
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just love this workflow and it's my favorite timesaver.

I'd love to see these features, don't know how feasible the second one is.

1. Fuzzy match, some menus are long with lots of similar options, would love to type `clpr` instead of `close pr` to close a project.

2. In sake of laziness, I wonder how possible it is to be able to assign a hotkey to  a menu option in a specific app through alfred. Alfred doesn't read/display some correctly and I'm too lazy to go into the menu to try to remember the actual shortcut.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, great workflow! This isn't working for me with chrome on El Capitan. (When i type "m [anything]" it says "Loading..." and then goes to defaults) I know someone was having that issue previously, was that ever fixed?

This doesn't help you in the slightest but it's working fine for me. If it's not working anywhere you need to make sure that Assistive Devices are enabled for Alfred in the Security settings.

This doesn't help you in the slightest but it's working fine for me. If it's not working anywhere you need to make sure that Assistive Devices are enabled for Alfred in the Security settings.

Actually, I accidentally left my computer for a bit while trying this on chrome - it works, it just takes a while to load for chrome (whereas it's near-instant for other apps). Don't know if that's the case for you/if you know why that might be, but thanks anyway!

Actually, I accidentally left my computer for a bit while trying this on chrome - it works, it just takes a while to load for chrome (whereas it's near-instant for other apps). Don't know if that's the case for you/if you know why that might be, but thanks anyway!

I'm assuming you have a crap-load of bookmarks in Chrome. Safari has a similar problem but it's much, much worse. For Safari I intentionally ignore the bookmarks menu because it's extremely slow. Chrome didn't exhibit the same behavior with the same number of bookmarks as Safari. I'm guessing it gets a lot slower as the number of bookmarks increases.