Workflow to display recent Finder files and folders featuring:
- 5 default categories
- 2 custom categories
- Favorites, including a file action
- Keywords and hotkeys for Favorites and all categories apart
- Interaction with Open/Save dialogs and Finder Go To Folder
- Preview, reveal, open or use Alfred file actions
Show Alfred and type the keyword rec:
You can also use the category keyword if you prefer to access the recent files directly, without an initial menu:
- Now: keyword now
- Folders: keyword fol
- Applications: keyword apps
- Documents: keyword docs
- Downloads: keyword dow
- Custom Category 1: keyword c1
- Custom Category 2: keyword c2
- Favorites: keyword fav
In addition, there is a hotkey for the keyword rec, Favorites and all categories apart.
Note that all keywords, as well as the hotkeys, can be changed (go to Alfred Preferences > Workflows).
Finally, once inside a category you have the following actions:
- Return key: open the file or folder
- Command key: reveal the file or folder in Finder
- Option key: pass the file/older path to an open/save dialog or Finder window
- Control key: add/remove an item to/from Favorites
- Shift key: preview (Quick Look) the file or folder
You can set up to two custom categories:
- Show Alfred and type the keyword recpref
- Select a category to configure and press return key
- Type an unique category name with at least 3 characters
- Type one or more (separated by comma) file types e.g.: com.adobe.pdf,public.plain-text
To find a file type you can use Alfred Metadata Analyzer.
To remove a custom category press command key while highlighting one of them in recpref.
All files or folders set as a favorite item will remain in the list no matter how old they are.
To add an item to Favorites just highlight a file or folder, hold control key and press return key.
To remove an item go to Favorites, highlight an item, hold control key and press return key.
You can also add items utilizing Alfred File Action (accepts multiple files).
Note that Favorites has also its own keyword (fav) and hotkey.
Interacting with Open/Save Dialog or Finder
You can pass a recent file or folder path, or an item in Favorites, to an open/save dialog or even the current Finder window to go to that folder:
- when an open/save dialog is displayed type the keyword rec or any other category keyword
- find an item (a file or folder or an item from Favorites), highlight it, hold option key and press return key
- wait a bit so the workflow can load and paste the item path
The workflow remembers the last path used per application. To use the feature just type the keyword df when an open/save dialog is displayed.
If the workflow was never used for the application, or the path does not exist anymore, then the keyword rec will be automatically triggered so you can select a path from a file or folder.
There is also a hotkey to make things even faster.
Make sure to give the feature time to process because e.g. if you hold keyboard keys way too long then the feature may not work as expected.
- Up to 2 custom categories (keyword recpref)
- Downloads category
- Keyword for each category
- Hotkey for each category
- Multiple files in Add to Favorites file action
- Changed Auto-path to Default Folder (keyworod df)
- Changed Just Now category to Now
- Added Help (keyword rechelp)
- Update to Alfred 2.3 features
- Several internal improvements
- Version 4.0
- Release date: 10 May 2014
- Requires Alfred 2.3 or later
- Download now
Edited by Carlos-Sz, 10 May 2014 - 06:26 PM.