Search Apple/iCloud Notes

Hi, i am using this workflow on the latest release of Catalina as well as Alfred 4.

The workflow doesn't seem to be working at all for me.

After installing the workflow and trying to run it i did not receive any security messages where teh workflow was asking for any permissions or access to any files.

Am i missing any steps?

Aside from this all of my other workflows are working perfectly fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed and try to run once but not working. Then i try to check the python path, and apparently python3 path is located in different place on my machine. So if you had the same problem, try to check your whether python3 was installed or not, and if installed, check the path by running `which python3` on your terminal. Then change the part according to whats on your machine. Cheers!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 10:11 PM, yeroc said:

Love this workflow, so thank you for all the hard work! Do you think it would be good to update the Installation instructions to reflect the Python / Xcode requirement?

Good idea, I've updated the instructions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This workflow didn't work for me until I deactivated the connection to my google account notes. Prior to doing this, the workflow would index notes correctly, but would not launch them. Worth including in the instructions that default notes account has to be iCloud for it to work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 10:07 AM, MP1 said:

This workflow didn't work for me until I deactivated the connection to my google account notes. Prior to doing this, the workflow would index notes correctly, but would not launch them. Worth including in the instructions that default notes account has to be iCloud for it to work.

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware of this issue. Looks like notes that are not from iCloud or On My Mac are not stored in the normal database. If anyone figures out the details, I'm happy to try adding support.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bazerman said:

You are a hero among men. Since evernote have kamikazed themselves this month, I've been looking for an alternative, but the key lacking feature in apple notes was their ⌘J search. This plugs that gap. Time to move over 💪

@bazerman Interesting, I moved from EN to NS 6 months ago. I thought EN released a new version why are you saying then "kamikazed" ... did EN screwed it up?

1 hour ago, Acidham said:

did EN screwed it up

They released Evernote 10, and as of current enquiries with some of their staff, doesn't support AppleScript. They've said they're still considering it, but at this point, the workflow requires Evernote 7 (which is still available in the legacy section of their site)

The more people make noise about wanting support, the more likely they'll add it. However, the workflow may need to evolve to use their API instead, if they choose not to add AppleScript support.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like in Big Sur the notes:// URI scheme is handled by the Notes app directly, meaning that notes://seemingly-any-string-here causes the Notes app to come into focus, but do nothing further. It's possible to get around this with SwiftDefaultApps and make notes:// links work as before, or it would also be possible to change the URI for links generated by this workflow (note:// seems like a good alternative). But does anyone know how the default macOS notes:// URI scheme handling works? Is there some documentation anywhere?

9 hours ago, sballin said:

Looks like in Big Sur the notes:// URI scheme is handled by the Notes app directly, meaning that notes://seemingly-any-string-here causes the Notes app to come into focus, but do nothing further. It's possible to get around this with SwiftDefaultApps and make notes:// links work as before, or it would also be possible to change the URI for links generated by this workflow (note:// seems like a good alternative). But does anyone know how the default macOS notes:// URI scheme handling works? Is there some documentation anywhere?

I'm on Big Sur and I can still search for notes and when I hit return it opens notes.app at the correct note. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯