Your most used workflows

I thought it might be of general interest to start a thread about our favourite/most used Alfred workflows. I’ve restricted this to workflows that I use daily. It is most definitely not intended as an advertisement for any of my workflows. 😀

I have been using Alfred since June 2016. For many months I used it as an app launcher and for some search fallbacks—plus with a few workflows created by others. It was only in 2021 I cautiously dipped a toe into writing some of my own (fairly basic) workflows: call me a slow developer!

Aside from multiple launch workflows used many times each day the workflows I use every day include:

1. Firefox search Google from DuckDuckGo: to carry out a Google search in a Firefox window via DuckDuckGo.

2. A Firefox launcher that opens Firefox and then immediately opens a private window. (I don’t want to work exclusively in private window mode so don’t use the inbuilt Firefox option always to use a private window.)

3. A couple of GitHub related workflows: one automatically to assemble and copy to the clipboard a link to the latest release of any of my workflows on GitHub and the other to run a Terminal script to check the number of downloads of any of my workflows on GitHub.

4. A basic “Go to folder” workflow that lists all my favourite folders and enables me to browse them in Alfred or open them in Finder.

5. A “quit all apps and shutdown” workflow I run at the end of each day.

6. My Open MacOS system settings panes workflow.

I’d be interested to learn what workflows you use daily.

Stephen

Can't wait to see what everyone's favourites are...

TinyPNG by @vitor : I use this one many times a day via a Universal Action to compress images.

I have a bunch of File Filters set up for various folders on my Mac, whether it's art/personal projects, Alfred stuff, etc... They're a great time saver once you set a scope and a few file types.

Yak Saver: I like using a pomodoro-like workflow to get me to focus on one project for 20 minutes, then take a break and so on.

Paste as plain text from hotkey is the simplest of tasks, but invaluable.

It's not the size of the workflow, it's what you do with it that matters! ;) 

At the very top of my list are Menu bar search, Dict.cc, this dark/ light mode switcher, which apparently is not available anymore, a text processing workflow I wrote for transforms, stats, fixing, extracting etc., and my devonthink workflow, as I practically live in that application.

These I use quite frequently, but perhaps not daily:

• The ancient Unicode Symbols Search
  • A trivial workflow I wrote to append something to my Logseq inbox.
  • Another workflow I wrote for getting merged citation references from various sources or to look up what else an author has published
  • The classic Word Search, although there have to be improved versions of this
  • My What Unicode Character is this? workflow whenever I’m doing NLP stuff
  • OCR
  • And recently Window Switcher (either vitor’s or wooshy to catch dialog-like windows, such as the emoji pane, which only the latter registers; with wooshy, unfortunately, there’s some noise sometimes that is not filtered)
  • Alfred History Search (I would like to use it more, but some limitation causes many queries not to be picked up)

Then I have several File Filters for searching specific file types either by name or through their contents, several hotkeys to quickly launch applications and two hotkeys that streamline two Alfred base functions:

• define the highlighted word
  • spell the highlighted word
    • this one I basically use for ad hoc autocorrects of typos. Select the word, hit shift+alt+s, hit enter, hit command+v and in 99% of all cases the matter is closed 😄
Edited by zeitlings

Some of my favorites

Paste as plain texts gets used every day. And has since was introduced in Alfred. Thanks @Vero

I also launch and hide a apps with hotkeys with Launch/Apps and Files. I have a moom script tied to a few to help me setup specific workspaces for different projects and arrange windows.

I also built universal actions for text transformations using Copy to Clipboard Output. I used some specific ones almost every day and i’ve found the dynamic placeholders and some automation tasks work just as well as the some of the more built out workflows for my needs.

I also have a bunch of file filters setup for specific searches that help keep me nimble.

I also try to use alfred’s file navigation over the finder as much as possible, so I have a number of regular file paths setup in a list filter (thanks @Stephen_C) and some assigned to hotkeys.

I have a few custom scripts that I trigger with alfred for very specific needs (adding tasks to taskpaper projects, pulling mix notes from pro tools sessions to text files, and logging some of my daily tasks with toggl and brett terpstra’s doing.

And Some off the shelf workflows from the gallery I love (so much  @vitor 

Window Switcher

Yak Saver (i modified mine to cycle like a pomodoro timer — added a timer for the breaks. I also have mine yell profanities at me when my timers are up)

Soulver (so many powerful conversions)

Right Click

Pin Plus

Open Conference URL

Moom

**EDIT**

adding Coffee Coffee which is not yet in the gallery, but i use whenever i am printing long mixes or running long chronosync backups and don't want my machine to sleep. It gets used almost everyday.

One thing i’ve found helpful is using a hyper key (remapping capslok to trigger (shift, control, option and command). I use Karabiner Elements to do this but there are other pieces of software that will do it. I’ve found using a hyperkey has helped me avoid hot-key conflicts.

Edited by sepulchra
  • 11 months later...

On a daily basis

Browser Tabs by Emmanuel Pilande
Calculate Anything by Biati Digital
Menu Bar Search by Benzi Ahamed
Search Notes by Sean Ballinger
System Settings by Vítor Galvão

and a workflow I put together to use as an app switcher (used to use Karabiner)

Edited by ionstorm
Add Names
7 minutes ago, vitor said:

That’s more of a question for the workflow’s author. There’s also Amazon Suggest in the meantime (which may or may not be of help to @giovanni too to figure out the issue).

@vitor, thanks. but Amazon Suggest from giovanni does not have the previrew feature which is something I use very often. let me to go their github page and ask that question, thanks