vitor

RightClick — Do a right-click on Finder files, with the keyboard

Even though a native solution exists, it suffers from a big flaw: it right-clicks where you cursor is, not what you’re selecting. This workflow (or gist, if you prefer it as a Service) addresses that limitation.

Starting with Mavericks, it only works inside Finder windows, not on the Desktop.

Download | Source

Edited by vitor

I know about that option, it’s not related to the issue. Something changed in Mavericks that made it stop working. It will act as if right clicking the middle of the Desktop.

Edited by Vítor

Just had to test something out with this and realised it does work in Mavericks, provided you do it inside a Finder window. It won’t work if issued to an item on the Desktop.

It doesn't work on Yosemite

You mean that it doesn’t even work inside a Finder window? If that’s the case, seems like Apple is breaking this capability a bit more with each release. I’ll see if I can look into it, after installing the beta (not sure when that’ll be).

olliebaum In all honesty, even if there is a way, I’m not interested in pursuing it. If someone submits a PR or wants to help by pointing me in the right direction on Github, then I’m willing to, but otherwise Apple already killed so much of this and it’s so difficult to figure out the new workarounds, I simply don’t want to waste (not even spend, waste, really) the time to do it alone.

That's fine. I didn't mean for you to have to spend time on it. I just thought there might be an AX UI element similar to what you used to access the currently selected text. I want to create a workflow for OSX's "Look up..." which only appears in the contextual menu. I think the simple answer is probably that it's not possible. Apple clearly doesn't go out of its way to make this any easier.

If that’s your use case, then Alfred has you partially covered when setting a Hotkey node.

QHF6285.png

Make it use Alfred’s dictionary support, and you’ll have something similar to what you’re after.

Update.

New icon.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days (15 or less) and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

2 hours ago, RuslanI said:

Is it possible to make it work in PathFinder ? 

No that I know of, but it’s also not something I’ll look for. I might take a pull request for it, though.