Reminders

Thanks, Jack. Actually it's working now!! I kept typing in different commands and eventually something 'clicked' and they started to work. Thanks! Awesome workflow!!

There's something odd going on here. I'm looking into it.

Edit: looks like an Alfred update might have broken something.

Edited by Jack James

There's something odd going on here. I'm looking into it.

Edit: looks like an Alfred update might have broken something.

Yeah, you know how Alfred sometimes learns what you're doing? That's what it seemed like. After using some of the other ones like rhelp and radd it got the hang of it.

Am I misreading a post above? My Reminders application is oddly wadded up from time to time, beach balling and being unresponsive. Seems to be for a few minutes after I create a reminder with the Alfred workflow. Does that jive with what you're saying above?

Are you on OS 10.8 or 10.9? Has it always been like this when using the workflow?

That behaviour sounds like the Reminders application is being accessed by AppleScript. This should only happen for a few seconds, unless you have many incomplete reminders, or are running OS 10.9.

Edited by Jack James

Are you on OS 10.8 or 10.9? Has it always been like this when using the workflow?

That behaviour sounds like the Reminders application is being accessed by AppleScript. This should only happen for a few seconds, unless you have many incomplete reminders, or are running OS 10.9.

[edit: fat-fingered the post button]

Sorry, 10.9 Mavericks here on a late 2008 MB. I have the latest version of the WF. By incomplete reminders do you mean ones that have passed their due date? I do have a handful of those. Total reminders across two lists are about 25.

And no, I've never noticed this behavior. Of course, I just upgraded to Mavericks so that might be it too.

Edited by roccitman

Let me stop you right there. This workflow does not work correctly in OS 10.9 due to a bug in the OS. See the very first post for more details, but basically there's nothing I can do about it until Apple fix the issue, which may never happen. All my systems are now 10.9, so I'm keen to get this fixed too.

Am I misreading a post above? My Reminders application is oddly wadded up from time to time, beach balling and being unresponsive. Seems to be for a few minutes after I create a reminder with the Alfred workflow. Does that jive with what you're saying above?

I had something like this and decided to remove the workflow. :(

In my case, I got CPU over 80% from time to time (even without create any reminder).

I love this workflow but have to wait a fix from Apple (hope it comes sometime).

Right, I did see the warning. It does work for me though. Just hangs Reminders.app up for a little bit after I create a reminder.

I had something like this and decided to remove the workflow. :(

In my case, I got CPU over 80% from time to time (even without create any reminder).

I love this workflow but have to wait a fix from Apple (hope it comes sometime).

Yeah that's basically the same issue. I'll update the note about Mavericks to mention that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The moment I type rad(wihtout the last d), it shows Add a reminder. But when I complete it by typing radd, then it changes to "Search in Google", "Search in Amazon".. Afrer that I do not see the option to add a reminder.

Even if I go with rad and then continue typing it falls into Search in Google.

Im using the latest 10.9 and I saw the first post, which says that radd is the safest way now to use it.

Thanks

Follwoing are the results:

typing     - in the dropdown 

rad          - shows radd

radd        - shows google search

radd test - shows adding a reminder

radd thursday - shows google

radd thursday at  - shows google

radd thursday at 12:55 - shows google

radd thursday at 12:55 test - shows google

That's as designed– you'll only see the prompt if you type a valid command.

I did at one point try to get it to show a message if you type something invalid, but didn't do it for reasons I can't remember. Maybe I'll take another look, but in truth I don't know if there's any point messing around with this until the Mavericks issue gets resolved.

The latest version will show a message if Alfred doesn't understand the command.

This plugin looks great, but sadly didn't work on my Mavericks.

Mavericks users may be glad to know that until this is fixed QuickCal plugin also does reminders  - all works well, if you install it 'cal r create reminder 10am' in Alfred works fine.

Many thanks,

Angus 

As noted on the first post, "radd" works fine in Mavericks for creating reminders with this workflow

FWIW, both "r" and "radd" work the same for me.

(Mavericks on a 2013 MBP)

Indeed, but the problem with using "r" is that it can trip over itself, meaning that it won't add reminders straight away.

I might make a version of the plugin that's write-only.

Edited by Jack James

Indeed, but the problem with using "r" is that it can trip over itself, meaning that it won't add reminders straight away.

I might make a version of the plugin that's write-only.

Yeah, I sometimes see that when I type "r in 5 minutes feed the cat" it will show up in reminders as "feed the c" or something like that.

The write-only version would be very interesting. That's all I use it for anyway. It's, for some reason, easier for me to look at the reminders window (I have it on a separate Desktop) with just a swipe.