Reminders

Sounds like you are running up against the limit of 10 seconds for caching the reminders list (although I would expect there to be a lot more than 30). What's the test execution time?

It took 18 seconds. It had 35 this time. I've 285 reminders. Even I get more, would this workflow operate only the cached reminders and not the entire list? thanks. 

I've had a quick look at nvalt, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the current note via applescript…

I suppose the only way would be to use the keyboard shortcuts, e.g. (using 'delay' where appropriate)

tell application "nvALT" to activate
	keystroke "c" using {command down, option down}
	set rbody to the clipboard
	keystroke "l" using command down
	keystroke "c" using command down
	set rname to the clipboard
end tell

I know this is a rather messy solution, but I'd be very grateful if you could make it work :)

Hi, i love this workflow! Thank you very much. I'm jusst wondering if you could add support for FoldingText.app. I would reaaallllly appreciate. 

Download the latest version!

Although please let me know if it works properly, I'm in the rather unfortunate position of not being able to test it on this machine because of OS 10.9… 

It took 18 seconds. It had 35 this time. I've 285 reminders. Even I get more, would this workflow operate only the cached reminders and not the entire list? thanks. 

Honestly this has cropped up before and I'm still unable to nail down what trips it up.

Please try this special version here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/103385/Reminders-beta.alfredworkflow

Warning: I've increased the timeout period rather significantly. It _could_ hang your machine, use at your own risk.

Edited by Jack James

First off, thanks for this workflow.  I can (almost) get it to do what I want.

Basically I want to create a reminder or a specific date and time, in a specific list, and have it remind me at that time.  I use Outlook 2011 so reminders created in the reminders app end up in a list called Tasks, which then end up automagically in Outlook 2011 as tasks.  

Here's what Im running into with specific examples of what I typed and the results:

r Tomorrow at 11:00am to pick my ears in Tasks list … creates reminder in the correct list with alert firing at 7:25 am tomorrow

r on 7-11-13 11:00 to pick my nose in Tasks list … creates reminder in the correct list, but for 12:00 am 

r on 7-16-13 at 3pm to shave hair in my ears in Tasks list - creates task in the right list, but reminder is 12:00 am

r on 7-16-13 3pm to shave hair in my ears in Tasks list - creates task in the right list, but reminder is 12:00 am

r Thursday at 15:00 to pick my butt in Tasks list …. fails to create reminder

r tomorrow at 11 to fall asleep in Tasks list … creates reminder in the default tasks list, NOT Tasks and if it matters, displays the text of the reminder in the app as "fall asleep in Tasks lis"  <--- yes it drops the t off list

r at 2pm to Pick someone else's ears in Tasks list - works as expected

r tomorrow at 2pm to grow hair in my ears in Tasks list - works as expected

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again - this workflow is GREAT despite my problems trying to nail down the proper syntax.

First off, thanks for this workflow.  I can (almost) get it to do what I want.

Basically I want to create a reminder or a specific date and time, in a specific list, and have it remind me at that time.  I use Outlook 2011 so reminders created in the reminders app end up in a list called Tasks, which then end up automagically in Outlook 2011 as tasks.  

Here's what Im running into with specific examples of what I typed and the results:

r Tomorrow at 11:00am to pick my ears in Tasks list … creates reminder in the correct list with alert firing at 7:25 am tomorrow

r on 7-11-13 11:00 to pick my nose in Tasks list … creates reminder in the correct list, but for 12:00 am 

r on 7-16-13 at 3pm to shave hair in my ears in Tasks list - creates task in the right list, but reminder is 12:00 am

r on 7-16-13 3pm to shave hair in my ears in Tasks list - creates task in the right list, but reminder is 12:00 am

r Thursday at 15:00 to pick my butt in Tasks list …. fails to create reminder

r tomorrow at 11 to fall asleep in Tasks list … creates reminder in the default tasks list, NOT Tasks and if it matters, displays the text of the reminder in the app as "fall asleep in Tasks lis"  <--- yes it drops the t off list

r at 2pm to Pick someone else's ears in Tasks list - works as expected

r tomorrow at 2pm to grow hair in my ears in Tasks list - works as expected

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again - this workflow is GREAT despite my problems trying to nail down the proper syntax.

The way you must type dates & times is dependent on your region setting. The examples provided in the original post are based on me being in the UK. Depending on where you are, you will need to format them differently.

As a rule, if the small text under the highlighted action reads correctly, then the command should work.

Honestly this has cropped up before and I'm still unable to nail down what trips it up.

Warning: I've increased the timeout period rather significantly. It _could_ hang your machine, use at your own risk.

This does seem to work, so far. thanks! One more thing - r refresh doesn't work. It gets interpreted as "Add reminder" with gray text reading "refres" (notice the last H that is missing. Only H is lost; if I type other alphabets (s, for example), they are processed, and the gray text turns to "refressss"). 

thanks.

This does seem to work, so far. thanks! One more thing - r refresh doesn't work. It gets interpreted as "Add reminder" with gray text reading "refres" (notice the last H that is missing. Only H is lost; if I type other alphabets (s, for example), they are processed, and the gray text turns to "refressss"). 

thanks.

This is a quirk of how alfred works. If you type "r refresh", it will actually process the command before displaying your last keystroke. What that means in your case is that it could be several seconds before the "h" will register.

The way you must type dates & times is dependent on your region setting. The examples provided in the original post are based on me being in the UK. Depending on where you are, you will need to format them differently.

As a rule, if the small text under the highlighted action reads correctly, then the command should work.

Thanks for the reply - is there something in the examples there that you see that Im doing wrong with regards to dates & times?  

Thanks for the reply - is there something in the examples there that you see that Im doing wrong with regards to dates & times?  

type "r help", that will show you the patterns that work for me, check the small text underneath each one to check which ones set the time/dates correctly.

try using spaces instead of dashes as the date separator.

Download the latest version!

Although please let me know if it works properly, I'm in the rather unfortunate position of not being able to test it on this machine because of OS 10.9… 

Hi, Thank you for your quick response!

I installed the latest version and was able to create a reminder using "r this".

One thing I noticed tho, the link that it creates for the file will not take me to the location in Finder. 

The link created by the workflow is:

file://localhost/Users/gimbaoro/Library/Containers/com.foldingtext.FoldingText/Data/Desktop/test%20reminder%20workflow.txt

The link created manually by drag&drop is:

file://Users/gimbaoro/Desktop/test%20reminder%20workflow.txt

(note: for the manual reminder link, after I dragged the link into the note field, I did have to replace the space in the file name with "%20" manually as well; also the test file I used was on the desktop)

Hi, Thank you for your quick response!

I installed the latest version and was able to create a reminder using "r this".

One thing I noticed tho, the link that it creates for the file will not take me to the location in Finder. 

The link created by the workflow is:

file://localhost/Users/gimbaoro/Library/Containers/com.foldingtext.FoldingText/Data/Desktop/test%20reminder%20workflow.txt

The link created manually by drag&drop is:

file://Users/gimbaoro/Desktop/test%20reminder%20workflow.txt

(note: for the manual reminder link, after I dragged the link into the note field, I did have to replace the space in the file name with "%20" manually as well; also the test file I used was on the desktop)

Are you using the Mac App Store version of FoldingText? That would explain the difference.

Would it be terribly difficult to implement support for the ISO date format (e.g., "2013-07-10 19:30")?

I've come to love natural language date conversion tools that allow you to specify dates in a wide variety of ways (e.g., "2d 10:00", "friday in 2 weeks at noon", etc.) and then give you the corresponding standard ISO date, which is ideal for sorting and other purposes. I am using a modified version of Gabe Weatherhead's Keyboard Maestro macro, but Brett Terpstra's OS X service is also very good.

The Reminders workflow is great in many ways, but for obvious reasons it lacks the power and flexibility of a full fledged date conversion system when it comes to parsing entered date information. If the workflow accepted dates in the ISO format, you could do the complex date translation externally and feed the result directly into the Reminders workflow.

I can imagine that the date parsing code is already quite complex and you probably don't particularly enjoy touching it at this point, but if you could implement support for "r on 2013-07-11 14:15 to do something" that would be very useful.

Would it be terribly difficult to implement support for the ISO date format (e.g., "2013-07-10 19:30")?

I've come to love natural language date conversion tools that allow you to specify dates in a wide variety of ways (e.g., "2d 10:00", "friday in 2 weeks at noon", etc.) and then give you the corresponding standard ISO date, which is ideal for sorting and other purposes. I am using a modified version of Gabe Weatherhead's Keyboard Maestro macro, but Brett Terpstra's OS X service is also very good.

The Reminders workflow is great in many ways, but for obvious reasons it lacks the power and flexibility of a full fledged date conversion system when it comes to parsing entered date information. If the workflow accepted dates in the ISO format, you could do the complex date translation externally and feed the result directly into the Reminders workflow.

I can imagine that the date parsing code is already quite complex and you probably don't particularly enjoy touching it at this point, but if you could implement support for "r on 2013-07-11 14:15 to do something" that would be very useful.

Unfortunately applescript's support for date formats is pretty terrible, and I've no interest in writing a wrapper function for it. If I find a script or function where someone else has solved this problem (written in pure, self-contained applescript), I'll consider implementing it. But my desire to do this myself is very low.

Edit: Ignore that. I should be able to find a way to at least get the iso format like you've mentioned.

Edited by Jack James

Would it be possible to add the command "r tomorrow AT x am/pm" ....? I often want to be reminded of something at a specific time tomorrow, but currently the only way to do this is by inputting the date... 

Thanks. 

On my machine, "r tomorrow at 10 am to do something" already works. Is it possible that you only tried it without the 'to'?

Hi, I love this workflow -- I have one little issue - hope nobody brought it up before (search function is not very good in the forum and this discussion is rather long by now)

My problem: If I use "r this" to create a reminder of the current app it works well with things like "r this tomorrow" or "r this today" but I never get it to work with something like "r this on 01-10-2013" -- it either simply ignores the date or buts it as text in the reminder. Any ideas?

Hi, I love this workflow -- I have one little issue - hope nobody brought it up before (search function is not very good in the forum and this discussion is rather long by now)

My problem: If I use "r this" to create a reminder of the current app it works well with things like "r this tomorrow" or "r this today" but I never get it to work with something like "r this on 01-10-2013" -- it either simply ignores the date or buts it as text in the reminder. Any ideas?

Technically it can be done, but it looks a bit weird:

"r this on 01-10-2013 to "

you must include the space at the end, and you can add the title at the end

• 1 month later...

This is a great workflow.  I'm wondering if it could be easily edited to show only reminders coming up in a given period.

e.g. 

r month - reminders in the next month & overdue

r week - reminders in the next week & overdue

r soon - reminders in next __ user defined period

I have a lot of reminders set up for recurring tasks that happen every 3-6 months, or once a year, and would like an easy way to suppress them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

"radd", "rshow", "r all" ,"r refresh", and "r overdue" are not working ... orz

In the rerult of "rtest", I got errors as follows:

Run cache process: ERROR: /Users/kengao/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.209C4005-C064-4422-AC9A-6FF088D24D1A/cache-reminders.scpt: execution error: Invalid date and time date 1/1/1970 of «script». (-30720)
Fetch cache timestamp: missing value
Fetch cached reminder count: ERROR: missing value doesn’t understand the count message.
Current unix time: ERROR: Invalid date and time date 1/1/1970 of «script».

Is there any methods to fix? Thanks. :|

The following is the complete result of rtest.

Test results:
OS version: 10.8.5
Current date: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:22:21 PM
Initialize workflow path: /Users/kengao/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.209C4005-C064-4422-AC9A-6FF088D24D1A
Initialize alfred-library: OK
Initialize update-library: OK
Initialize wf-library: OK
Reminders.app state: Running
Fetch reminder count: 5
Fetch reminder info: OK
Fetch reminder list count: 3
Fetch reminder list info: OK
Run cache process: ERROR: /Users/kengao/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.209C4005-C064-4422-AC9A-6FF088D24D1A/cache-reminders.scpt: execution error: Invalid date and time date 1/1/1970 of «script». (-30720)
Fetch cache timestamp: missing value
Fetch cached reminder count: ERROR: missing value doesn’t understand the count message.
Test basic query: OK
Test today query: OK
Test in n minutes query: OK
Test in n hours query: OK
Test in n days query: OK
Test in n days y hours query: OK
Test in n hours y minutes query: OK
Test at time query: OK
Test tomorrow at time query: OK
Test in x list query: OK
Subtitle generation: OK
Test basic reminder filtering: OK
Test remind today reminder filtering: OK
Test due tomorrow reminder filtering: OK
Test reminder list filtering: OK
Test version-check response: OK
Current unix time: ERROR: Invalid date and time date 1/1/1970 of «script».
Simple JSON: OK
Test execution time: 1 seconds