I Sheet You Not: Plug Excel into Alfred

2 hours ago, Ghost0 said:

Would love to see this integrated to work with GSheets as well..

In technical terms, that's entirely unrelated to how this workflow works, so you're basically asking for a parallel reimplementation of much of what the workflow does.

I'm not going to do that. Implementing the OAuth authorisation is already more complex than this entire workflow, and I'm also sick of dealing with Google and their ridiculous requirements for releasing applications that use their APIs.

You might consider writing a script that exports your Google Sheets to Excel files and then pointing this workflow at them.

Edited by deanishe
  • 8 months later...

I think you have just saved me weeks, heck, months of saved time, given how many times a day I no longer need to perform time-consuming searches for something I have now stored inside a dedicated Excel spreadsheet, that is a mere few keystrokes away...

So, THANK YOU! 👍

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 1:23 AM, AvatarThor said:

Cassady,

Did you get this workflow working on Alfred 4 or are you using Alfred 3?

It was working like a charm on Alfred 4 over the past several months – until today. Finally updated to macOS Monterey last night, and that seems to have broken it. 

Log throws out the following: 

Code 126: /Users/goldfish/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/100A1AA1-3884-4F6B-92C9-6B59DE8CD8E9: ./isyn: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

REALLY hope I can get this working again – this workflow is so powerful, and saves me so much time...

[EDIT]: Ok. So, clearly I've been living under a rock. Did not realise that Python 2(.7?) was no longer part of macOS Monterey – and seemingly needs to replaced with Python 3 as the "new" default. And, assuming I understand things correctly, the above error log is simply saying that the /isyn workflow was trying to find usr/bin/python at its usual location – but now nothing is there, hence the error. 

So I presumably have to "simply" install Python 3 in the /usr/bin/python directory, and all should go back to working as before?

Which means –– I need to spend time working through this thread! Yay me! 

Edited by Cassady
3 hours ago, Cassady said:

So I presumably have to "simply" install Python 3 in the /usr/bin/python directory, and all should go back to working as before?

No, that would not work because Python 2 and 3 are different.

3 hours ago, Cassady said:

Which means –– I need to spend time working through this thread!

Also no. The thread is for requests, there’s no point in reading it all. All you need is to follow the guide to reinstall Python 2 then install this updated version.

16 hours ago, vitor said:

No, that would not work because Python 2 and 3 are different.

Also no. The thread is for requests, there’s no point in reading it all. All you need is to follow the guide to reinstall Python 2 then install this updated version.

Ah – thank you for clarifying difference between Python 2 and 3!

And huge thanks for offering assistance – sadly, still running into issues.

The support doc Homebrew installation of Python 2 failed, with the following message:

BUILD FAILED (OS X 12.3 using python-build 20180424)

Inspect or clean up the working tree at /var/folders/zn/jy0jnfks28qfrfgphswgrcn40000gn/T/python-build.20220317095201.71946
Results logged to /var/folders/zn/jy0jnfks28qfrfgphswgrcn40000gn/T/python-build.20220317095201.71946.log

So, seemingly back to square 1. Will try and get clarity on what might be going wrong with the above. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I updated to OSX12.3 I sheet you not is not working. The following error comes up 

ERROR: I Sheet You Not[Run Script] Building workflow "test" in /Users/phillipsoliveira/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Data/net.deanishe.alfred-i-sheet-you-not ...

env: python: No such file or directory

Can anyone help me.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling python but to no avail.

Cheers

1 hour ago, phillipsoliveira said:

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling python but to no avail.

Take a look at this thread for more details on both reinstalling Python and requesting tweaks to workflows :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:39 AM, Vero said:

Take a look at this thread for more details on both reinstalling Python and requesting tweaks to workflows :)

Hi Vero – appreciate the assistance. 

The post linked to above, so kindly put together, also links back to an Alfred help post, on reinstalling Python 2 – as found here.

Unfortunately, following those instructions does not work, when trying the install through Terminal. 
It fires back (on my side, at least), the following error:

python-build: use zlib from xcode sdk

BUILD FAILED (OS X 12.3 using python-build 20180424)

Inspect or clean up the working tree at /var/folders/zn/jy0jnfks28qfrfgphswgrcn40000gn/T/python-build.20220405173019.34079
Results logged to /var/folders/zn/jy0jnfks28qfrfgphswgrcn40000gn/T/python-build.20220405173019.34079.log

Last 10 log lines:
checking MACHDEP... darwin
checking EXTRAPLATDIR... $(PLATMACDIRS)
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for --with-icc... no
checking for gcc... clang
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/var/folders/zn/jy0jnfks28qfrfgphswgrcn40000gn/T/python-build.20220405173019.34079/Python-2.7.18':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
ln: /usr/local/bin/python: File exists

So, kind of stuck back at square one, since presumably without a version of Python 2 that the various workflows depend on, nothing in the initial post, is going to work as it should.

Oh, and apologies for dropping this all in here – but unfortunately did not seem to have a way of responding in the Alfred help blog-post.

• 2 months later...

This interesting workflow and I could run the demo successfully on Monterey 12.3. The documentation to create new one seems bit complex and I got fatal error in new workflow. Intend to try again.

Is this workflow still maintained / updated? 

Perhaps simplified name such as "Alfred Sheet" or "Xls2Alfred" can be used? 

would love to find out how other users are using this workflow.

I Sheet You Not

I migrated this to Python 3. @Cassady @pankajsz give it a try and let me know if you see anything out of place. 

I have a question for @vitor: when a python script is an executable, it doesn't make sense to add the export PATH=/opt/homebrew/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH command to the script filter, correct?

In that case, considering that the shebang in the executable is #!/usr/bin/python3, it will not work on brew-installed pythons? Is there a way to make it compatible, in other words an equivalent of export PATH=/opt/homebrew/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH for executables? 

4 minutes ago, giovanni said:

I migrated this to Python 3.

Added to the table.

4 minutes ago, giovanni said:

I have a question for @vitor

It depends on how you call it.

If you do ./myscript.py or /some/path/to/script.py, then the file needs executable permissions and will use the interpreter in the shebang. If you instead python3 ./myscript.py or python3 /some/path/to/script.py, the file doesn’t need to be executable and will run using the interpreter you specified (python3 in the example), ignoring the shebang. This is where export PATH comes into play, as it affects where the shell will look for python3.

20 hours ago, giovanni said:

I migrated this to Python 3. @Cassady @pankajsz give it a try and let me know if you see anything out of place. 

I have a question for @vitor: when a python script is an executable, it doesn't make sense to add the export PATH=/opt/homebrew/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH command to the script filter, correct?

In that case, considering that the shebang in the executable is #!/usr/bin/python3, it will not work on brew-installed pythons? Is there a way to make it compatible, in other words an equivalent of export PATH=/opt/homebrew/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH for executables? 

Seems fine and works same as earlier one. Thank you. I still believe we need better name and simplification of help or this workflow itself. I have used it so far for demo examples

On 6/29/2022 at 9:38 PM, giovanni said:

Thank you SO much for doing this! I had given up, and rolled my own manual solution using the built-in list filter – but the original was always so much better.

This is now working as it was, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, Cassady said:

Thank you SO much for doing this! I had given up, and rolled my own manual solution using the built-in list filter – but the original was always so much better.

This is now working as it was, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks again! 

Works great. I have started using it more. More examples of format say for integer display etc would be helpful. 

On 6/29/2022 at 11:38 PM, giovanni said:

@giovanni I am using this more now and loving it. Thanks for your efforts on this. I can write values from any excel column  as text. Is it possible to retrieve hyperlinks from an excel column. One way would be adding new column in excel with url link and retrieve it but wanted to find out if there is a better way. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 1:08 AM, giovanni said:

@giovanni Are there max records that can be retrieved? In the debugger log, I see " [truncated]" towards the end.  If I reduce the number of columns retrieved, data from more rows can be returned but incomplete. My dataset has 350 rows and it can retrieve up to 200. Beyond those rows, the workflow doesn't give any result or error message in the prompt or log. 

On 8/25/2022 at 9:19 PM, pankajsz said:

@giovanni Are there max records that can be retrieved? In the debugger log, I see " [truncated]" towards the end.  If I reduce the number of columns retrieved, data from more rows can be returned but incomplete. My dataset has 350 rows and it can retrieve up to 200. Beyond those rows, the workflow doesn't give any result or error message in the prompt or log. 

I found answer to this. If the Value_Col returns null value, then the record is skipped. In the environment variables, I changed value_col to 1 which always have a value instead of the earlier column that sometimes had blank values. In debugger log, I found false for such records and then used it to troubleshoot. 

In the sample demo there is a Liverpool example with 7500 records so I realised there is no max records limitation. 

This workflow is amazing but just takes time to understand and use!

• 3 months later...

Anyone else have this workflow broken after updating to Ventura? 

Increasingly convinced I haven't ticked a "permissions setting" somewhere – but struggling to work all of that out on the new OS.

So, figured I would check here first.

Debugger shows the following:

[16:16:45.897] Logging Started...
[16:16:50.765] Student Number Lookup (New)[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[16:16:50.856] Student Number Lookup (New)[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[16:16:50.862] ERROR: Student Number Lookup (New)[Script Filter] Code 1: xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

Edited by Cassady