open finder folder as tab ??

One way in which I use Alfred a lot is to navigate to frequently-accessed folders using "open" + the first letter or two of the folder name.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to have these folders open as new tabs in an already-existing Finder window, if one is present – rather than as new Finder windows?

Thanks.

One way in which I use Alfred a lot is to navigate to frequently-accessed folders using "open" + the first letter or two of the folder name.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to have these folders open as new tabs in an already-existing Finder window, if one is present – rather than as new Finder windows?

Thanks.

You can control this in Finder's own preferences; Pop up Finder's prefs and tick the box for "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows" :)

I am having the same issue.  Vero makes a good suggestion but unfortunately it does not fix the problem.  

How would one make a workflow that opens a file in a new Finder window when Finder is not currently open - but opens a file in a new Finder TAB when a Finder window is already open?

Thank you!!

I am having the same issue.  Vero makes a good suggestion but unfortunately it does not fix the problem.  

How would one make a workflow that opens a file in a new Finder window when Finder is not currently open - but opens a file in a new Finder TAB when a Finder window is already open?

Thank you!!

Thanks.

I also have this issue.  Open folders in tabs instead of new windows is also checked.

Alfred 2.8 (414)

OS X 10.11 (15A284)

So I had some time and made a workflow for what you describe. Probably not the most elegant solution, but I'm not a programmer, just an engineer that likes to tinker. Even more so since Alfred is so tinkerable.. :)

Get the workflow here. Default keyword is "opop". Graphic from here

Enjoy!

• 8 months later...

Thanks. Workflow works but must be some better way to do this and change the default behaviour?

Tried the Finder settings but that didnt work either. Seems like Mac OS X doesn't allow "external" requests to open a new tab and forces to a new window unfortunately. Any thoughts from Alfred team on this?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hate to bring back an old topic, but I found a permanent, MacOS-based solution to this after speaking to the wonderful senior support at Apple (h/t Nick at Apple, 1109457).

To force folders in Alfred searches to open in Finder tabs:

1. Go to Apple > System Preferences > Doc
  2. Set "Prefer tabs when opening documents" to Always.

I'm doing this on on macOS 10.14.3 (18D42). Works like a charm.

You are welcome.

Edited by rshah
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, interesting problem!

So from your idea I wrote a workflow that inverts the behaviour default setting by extending the opop workflow:

1. If opening in new tabs is default: open in new windows

2. If opening in new windows is default: open in new tab in current window

Get it here. Keyword is "okok".

It doesn't handle the case if the folder is already open in a tab, then it just focuses that tab. If there's the need of a workflow to break it out in to a new window, I might be able to add that as well.

It's not obvious to me what the preferred behavior is when Finder is not active: by opening the folder in a random currently open tabbed Finder window, it might be equally disruptive as getting a new window. The original opop-workflow made a new window if Finder wasn't frontmost, which seem to work for most people and is therefore how this one works as well.

Cheers, M

On 10/21/2015 at 9:02 PM, DRM said:

Thank you!!

see

• 8 months later...
On 10/26/2015 at 1:51 AM, multicolor said:

So I had some time and made a workflow for what you describe. Probably not the most elegant solution, but I'm not a programmer, just an engineer that likes to tinker. Even more so since Alfred is so tinkerable.. :)

Get the workflow here. Default keyword is "opop". Graphic from here

Enjoy!

Belated thank you to multicolor. This is exactly what I'm looking for. But if I understand it correctly, the Finder window has to be the frontmost app for the AppleScript to work, right? Still, this is better than having 10 windows open 😫.

1 hour ago, Luddite said:

Belated thank you to multicolor. This is exactly what I'm looking for. But if I understand it correctly, the Finder window has to be the frontmost app for the AppleScript to work, right? Still, this is better than having 10 windows open 😫.

Hi,

Glad this is still of use to you, almost 5 years later! Yup, as far as I can see from here that was the intended behavior.

I just made another version which forces the tab to open in an already open Finder window even if Finder is not focused, which I guess is what you wanted? Get it here. Keyword "ioio".

On 3/30/2020 at 8:00 PM, multicolor said:

Hi,

Glad this is still of use to you, almost 5 years later! Yup, as far as I can see from here that was the intended behavior.

I just made another version which forces the tab to open in an already open Finder window even if Finder is not focused, which I guess is what you wanted? Get it here. Keyword "ioio".

Thank you. This works like magic. This is why I never wish to use other people's computers.

Edited by Luddite
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 9:00 AM, multicolor said:

Hi,

I've been tinkering with your workflow in an attempt to do something somewhat different but I haven't been successful. It doesn't help I have no scripting skills and Alfred seems daunting to me. 

My goal is to use a workflow to open a new Finder window with a bunch of tabs. I use different sets of folders for specific tasks (one set of tabs on a window for this, another set of tabs on another window for that) and it'd be great to be able to launch them as needed. Normally I end up having multiple windows with multiple tabs all the time and all mixed up, instead of, say, two windows with the desired group of tabs on each.

Any guidance you can provide (or a workflow if you feel charitable)?  I thought I could create a workflow that opened a new Finder window and then use your script to open several other tabs in the same window, but I cannot make it work. And wasn't trying anything sophisticated, rather one workflow per group of tabs where I could manually add, remove or change the paths if my needs changed (or to duplicate if I need another set of tabs).  I thought hey, I'll use variables to be used by the script but cannot make that work either.  I am at a loss and feeling helpless while I have a tool that I am positive can do what I want but that I can still cannot figure out.

Help!!! Thanks :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...